1:72 scale Revell Arado Ar 234

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
The next contestant to descend the shelf of misfit kits. The kit is pretty thin detail wise but has a few different versions and comes with a bonus, Fieseler 103 or V-1 or Doodlebug however you like to call it. Not sure what version I'm going with but definitely not the 4 engine C-3. I started with scribing panel lines ( lots of them ! ) and cutting out the flaps. It's kind of a silly kit but I'll see what I can do with it. I have a bunch of nice new kits I'm wanting to get at but I have to face this one first. I also made a wheel bay for the landing gear instead of lust the hole and slot in the kit.

Attachments

• 1r.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 5r.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 23r.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 430
According to the instructions the C-3 4 engine version piggy backed the Fi 103. So far I haven't found any info on whether that combo ever even existed. Me thinks it's dangerously close to Luft 46 school !

That's how it looks in the instructions, now for the biggie. Why do so many members have those Airplane Icons at the bottom of their posts ? Been wanting to ask for the longest time.

That's how it looks in the instructions, now for the biggie. Why do so many members have those Airplane Icons at the bottom of their posts ? Been wanting to ask for the longest time.
They are icons for participating in the group builds in the modelling section.

The Arado 234 C3 was a proposal for a Fi 103/V1 carrier late in the war, when the Lufwaffe high command was searching for a faster aircraft to deliver the V1.
It's what is refered to as a proposal/paper project, as no Arado 234 ever carried a V1 piggy backed. So, in fact it is Luft '46, but no fantasy. As it was a subject of research during WW2. As a matter of fact, the Arado Ar 234 C3 was more or less in the prototype stage at the end of the war, to give it more power bij coupling 2x2 Jumo 004 B engines.
This was investigated for several projects, among them the Ju 287 as the proposed Jumo 004 C's devolopment (a higher rated 004 B) was not comming to frutation in time.
Therefore several other powerplants were investigated, among them even a triple BMW engine to get a higher output propolsion source for jet aircraft.
The only wide operational use of V1 carrier aircraft was the He 111, even though several other aircraft were tested.

It's one of those strange and sometimes incredible projects and prototypes of the advanced Nazi engineering (I'm not a qualified expert, far from it).
Interesting information is being collected, which will allow (at least me) to discover more of these aerial vehicles.
It will be an interesting project to follow, Graham.
Greetings to Canada.

Very interesting subject! I'm really proud of my little airplane icons but they stopped doing it a few GB's back. I think I'd be motivated to participate in the GB's more if they would bring those back (hint hint).

Walter Rockets on pylons, Mmmmmkay. I filled them up with resin and then cut off the pylons and sanded them up. Made the mounting brackets out of styrene rod. I also re shaped the recovery chutes so they don't look like giant diner rolls and added some masking tape straps. They look a lot better with some paint and not like 737 jets anymore.

Attachments

• 9r.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 11r.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 14r.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 12r.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 20.JPG
    408.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Ok so how did the pictures end up on top of the text and the thumbnails on the bottom. I can't seem to get my act together posting pictures ?? Cant figure out how to edit it ??

Never mind I figured it out, now I can't delete this ???

Well currently we are under the dreaded "Environment Canada Snow Fall Warning" Which means squat unless your in Vancouver where it's usually a natural disaster. Up until a few days ago I'm pretty sure we were the only place in Canada that didn't have snow. What means this you ask ? Hiding in the man cave building models ! Well apart from shoveling snow. Some pictures of the cockpit goodies I added over the last few days. I'm going to use the tandem cockpit from the Me 163 to make the side panels. Never seen a tandem 163 so I didn't use it, now it comes in handy. Usual bits, wire, cardboard and beer can and styrene scratch up which is the second best part of building models !

Attachments

• 24r.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 279
  • 26r.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 27r.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 331
That's some serious good modelling going on! I really like what you did with those RATO pacs and the cockpit is looking quiet fantastic.
Very inspirational stuff...and in 1/72... I struggle to get anything close to this in 1/48th scale

I have the Revell 1/48 (reboxed Hasegawa) Ar 234 night fighter on my to do pile. So I'll watch with intresest.

Users who are viewing this thread