1/72 Super Connie HARS Livery

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

All the raised panel lines are gonna go anyway, it will be smooth all over when finished. Using the glass is not a bad idea, and That had never crossed my mind. See why I put it out there!!!! And I just realized there is not enough glass for all the extra windows on the HARS configuration anyway. Simplest solution, and paint the windows in........ Good Idea! Brilliant Glenn.

Next glitch are the props, one blade of two of the four is too weak and they have broken off. I'm gonna see if someone at HARS can tell me if there was another plane that used the same blade, if so I'll have to look for them in aftermarket resin.

Another build that pushes my limits.
With a little help from my friends!

Bill could you post a picture of these broken prop blades? Having them damaged there is no need to buy new ones. Just you need to repair them. It is always the cheapest option for that.

The base of the blade is about 3/32 in diameter and is just to tiny to fix. I've pinned blades before but this is just tooooo flimsy. And.... the blades are the wrong shape. they are like paddles, and the blades on the plane are the shape of Corsair blades. This is an ex-military Connie.

For the museum I really want to be as accurate as I can. I think if it weren't when the tour guides show the wall of planes, we want to have one of each plane in the collection, I want them to be able to say it is "as you will see in the hangar". You know what I mean. So if I have to spend a few bucks on resin blades, the museum won't mind. Seeing as how the kit was donated, plus my time is free. Small price to pay.

BTW.......... I have the glass glued in, and filled, and filed and sanded, even first coat of primer. I've decided to have decals made of the stripes, and include the windows as black rectangles. Beside two of the side windows have the white circle showing the emergency exit windows and I can have that and the CONNIE printed in the one go. Brilliant Glenn, worked a treat!!!

Attachments

• Connie S2F - 5b.jpg
    Connie S2F - 5b.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Connie S2F - 5.jpg
    Connie S2F - 5.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
3/32 of inch is about 2,4mm in the diameter. Man..this is a pole and can be fixed very easy. If I were you I cut off each prop blade and re-shaped it manually.

Last edited:
Well..... it's more like 1mm and not round. Best thing to do at this point is shape this one, add a stick to the end and cast 16 of the bl00dy things. I just can't see mucking around trying to fix these.

Threw in a couple of the window photos. Had to file off these GD little posty thingies. Then filled with bondo, filed, sanded and primer. Done!

Turned out good Glenn......... good idea. Now with stripe and window combo decals...... brilliant.

Attachments

• Connie S2F - 6.jpg
    Connie S2F - 6.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Connie S2F - 6b.jpg
    Connie S2F - 6b.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 91
  • Connie S2F - 6c.jpg
    Connie S2F - 6c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Connie S2F - 6d.jpg
    Connie S2F - 6d.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 73
Bill, I am amazed at what you will go through to get an accurate finished product. Balsa/tissue was never this hard. Keep on truckin', Pal.

Charles

Sounds like quite a few head scratching moments there, Bill. If you can't find props to match, you could clean up the spinners and place clear plastic discs simulating rotating props and place the model on a stand in flying configuration. That could also eliminate inaccuracies in the undercarriage that are most likely going to be there.

Thanks Charles, Paul.... all yous checking in on my progress.

Your next search assignment is to find a prop, not to send me but just one I can source to replace these. The attached photo shows the profile of what's on the plane, Hamilton Standard #6959B-0 type, with a diameter of 15'-2" for reference. I cannot find what other plane is certified to use this military style prop, this is a military converted Super Connie for the USAF.

The physical length of the kit prop would be 28mm long, spinner to tip. If anyone can find a kit prop with this dimension, and profile that would be fantastic. 72nd or 48th scale, no matter as long as the length is 28-30mm, no shorter.

I took pictures of the flight deck and will make the engineers console just for laffs.

Attachments

• Connie S2F - 7.jpg
    Connie S2F - 7.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 97
If I am not mistaken that would be the electric civilian Constellation. The military used the Hamilton Std 6959B-0 blade, which unfortunately is the one used on ours.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Now we need to find the HamStd list, if there is one. One thought tho, I wonder if the C-82 used the HamStd in a military conversion??????? I'll start looking there.

Bill

I'm just guessing, but I think blades from a B-24 might suit the model ?
If they are the right length, or close enough, I think there will probably be some resin sets, although they won't have spinners of course.

Adapting to spinners is the easy part.

I Have the 72nd Eduard B-24, it's in the Start to Finish threads, and they are far to short at 1/72nd which is 21mm long. At 1/48th scale they would be 31.5 just a little long, but may be okay if I were to cut them down 1.5-2 mm. I'll look for some at 1/48th see what I can do. Good idea Wayne.

Thanks for the offer Wurger, but I want to find out if 1/48 B-24 props are the correct, or nearly correct size.

This evening I've done a couple of goodies.
Made one of two red light for the belly, tooth brush handle.
Added a step to the backside of the main gear legs.
Added landing lights to the nose gear legs.
And a shallow accessory cover for the belly. Flange is attached, and 4 layers of styrene for the depth to be shaped before attaching to the plate already there.

Other goodies to come.

Attachments

• Connie S2F - 8a.jpg
    Connie S2F - 8a.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Connie S2F - 8b.jpg
    Connie S2F - 8b.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Connie S2F - 8d.jpg
    Connie S2F - 8d.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 93
  • Connie S2F - 8c.jpg
    Connie S2F - 8c.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 95
Good stuff Bill. I have the 1/48th B-24 kit to hand, so I'll photograph and measure the props for you (think they're the same as the 1/48th B-17 props, but I'll check those too.).
I'll post the results later tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back