1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gnomey,

Thanks for that.

Wurger,

Thanks for the reply.

I just Posted while you were Posting!

Maybe I should dial down those brused stains with a bit of yellow?

That photo is for a paper airplane, so I'm not really paying a great deal of attention to it.

Small photo, so seeing real rivet detail is limited, but I did pick up on lights and darks for the underside. The rivet detail I used came from excellent photos Posted by Wurger. I had drawn the rivet detail incorrectly until I saw his Posted drawings. Wurger, thanks again for the heads up on that and the many other ways you have assisted me with this project. It's appreciated.

With my drawing program and my cutter, I made the wing insignias yesterday out of two layers of vinyl. .002 thick.

Yes, I know I should paint them, but the vinyl is quicker.

The insignia on the paper airplane's wing bottom seems to be incorrect? The outer black is missing. I did a bit of checking and it appears as though that insignia on the underside has the outer black areas as does the one on the top.

I hope I'm correct on this? I think I should double check before I apply them.

Blacklist

Last edited:
My pleasure Charles.

Undoubtedly the LW crosses need the outer black areas for all markings of the Mig-3. I mean on the wing tops, undersides and fuselage sides.

My pleasure Charles.

Undoubtedly the LW crosses need the outer black areas for all markings of the Mig-3. I mean on the wing tops, undersides and fuselage sides.

Wurger,

Thank you for that information. You just saved me some time.

Blacklist

No problemo.

However Montex suggests LW croses of two different layouts. The bottom ones of wider, white areas and narrow ones for fuselage and wing tops.

Last edited:
Wurger,

That drawing is an incredible asset, I wish I had it from the beginning.

Where did you come by it? {Found it!}

Here's the thing, is it correct and accurate?

If you look at the profile, there are no letters on the bottom?

Blacklist

Last edited:
Just found it via the net but what site it was I don't remember. Sorry.

The scan isn't of the best quality but the C+T code can be seen next to the LW cross on the starboard wing. I think it is the matter of the pic quality and the angle these were drawn with. Anyway the B&W images of the kite shows them clearly.

Wurger,

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I missed that and thanks for pointing it out to me.

Now I have draw the numbers in and make them. I also have to find good renderings of the "thicker black" LW cross.

These are for the bottom, are they drawn OK? Passible?

Blacklist

I hope these can come in handy. According to this you may adjust your crosses and swastikas.

Last edited:
OK, I'll through my drawing out.

Ya killing me.

Better to get it right.

Won't take long to redraw these.

Blacklist

This is the best I can do with these things without setting my hair on fire.

I did have to redraw both of them from scratch. Moving my drawings around wasn't an option.
But, anything closer to scale is an improvement over what I had before. So thank you Wurger for that Post. Not the first time you've gotten me back on track.

This Forum has allowed me to proceed in a direction I never thought I'd be going in, that's for sure, especially with a 1/8 semi-scale scratch built balsawood model.

This Build is still something far from what the Forum represents, and I do from time to time, feel like I'm trespassing.

Blacklist

Wurger,

Can we be sure they painted the weel bays with zinc paint?

Blacklist
View attachment 299389

Nope. Russians didn't use the Zinc Chromate Yellow primer for protection of metal parts. There was ALG-1 primer used that was of dirty yellow tinge what could be the equivalent for the ZCY coat. However wheel bays were pinted with the colour of undersides ( light blue or light grey ) depending on the time period.
Contrary to that Germans used the RLM02 for such area. So I would say there could have been applied the colour. Unfortunately the pic of the kite doesn't show it accurately.

Wurger,

I'm thinking they may have just painted the wheel well bay the same color as the underside, yellow?

Another thing I'm thinking is how far down, the bottom end of the modeling spectrum, my existance is.

CollectAire 1/32 T-28C Trojan | Large Scale Planes

Here's the top side after the removal of all masking material.

Green paint and a bunch of rivets are next.

The rivets will go fast, I have experience.

Blacklist

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread