1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wurger,

Thank you.

I have a feeling somewhere, I might have confused myself with the Stuka wing for that Stuka tank buster I built.

I'm going to take a look at that and see if I can pin this mistake down.

That valve? Looks like the cover has been removed and that cord attaches to the cover so it won't get lost?

Blacklist

The cord seen there isn't for the protection of the cover methinks. It is a pipe or hose that connected the external cylinder of compressed air for getting the engine started when an alarm being issued. Here two soviet aviators sitting on the cylinder. The connection line can be noticed here too.

And here is an enlarged and well-known image of Galchenko's LaGG-3. Please note the external cylinder of the compressed air connected to the air valve.

Last edited:
"Okie Dokie."

A line from the movie Galaxyquest.

I see that cord goes to the tank.

Port side only, lower corner of that panel.

Thanks!

Blacklist

Port side only, lower corner of that panel.

Actually not the port side valve only. Both Mig-3 and LaGG-3 had them on the both fuselage sides. But the one on the port one was for the cold start of the engine while the one on the starboard was for re-filling of the air and oxygene system. I have posted above the two pictures with the view at both fusealge sides of a Mig-3 and valves there. So.. no doubts there IMHO.

Last edited:
Wurger,

Thank you.

OK, I have a couple of hatches to make that will go on each fuselage side.

BTW. I have been, now and again, been working on the Stuka tank buster. Finally got the old gal up on gear legs.

This is how the stuka looks currently. The Stuka is 55" in span making it just shy of 1/10 scale.

Forgive me for the subject change.

Blacklist

I'm fine with the subject changing. No problemo. The Stuka model looks great. What are you going to use for powering her? What airfoil for the wing have you used?

Wurger,

The model will be powered with an OS LA .46 CL engine. Just like the engine going in the Mig-3.

The airfoil is symmetrical, far from scale, because the model is designed to stunt.

The Stuka is larger than the Mig-3 but will weigh considerably less. It's construction is a bit different.

The cockpit detail is just about all color photography on photo paper, except for some light balsa items. Keeps the weight down but has the look.

I designed it from scratch.

Blacklist

Wurger,

The Mig-3 and this Stuka are for control line flying.

I no longer do R/C. Did that for a good number of years. I still have some R/C models I'd like to get rid of and a few special models that can be converted to control line.

Now I have to make a couple of hatches for the Mig-3. Probably make them the same color as they are going on.

Yes, I know the color is incorrect.

I hope to do better with the Stuka even though that model is semi-scale. The fuselage resembles the outlines of the actual aircraft quite well, but the wing is far from scale.

Blacklist

Sorry for not getting back earlier. The holes on the underside of the wing toward the trailing edge would be weeping holes. One of the biggest problems cloth covered aircraft had was mildew and mold. Condensation would form on the inside of the wing and needed a way to get out. The holes were put in on either side of each rib and as far aft as possible. Any accumulated moisture would weep out of these holes. They would only be found on cloth covered structures and if the wings were plywood and cloth as I am reading this, then that is what those holes are.

Actually you are right. These vents on the undersides of the wooden wings covered with fabric, were just for the purpose you mentioned above. There also were drain holes. But if you look at many pics of MiG-3s you can notice that these aren't seen. So.. either the early Mig-1 and 3 didn't had them there or these were covered by the cloth.

Took over 10 days for the paint to dry on the wire I used to represent the brake line on these struts.

Was tacky for over 10 days. I can finally touch it.

Here's the Mig-3 in it's early days.

Blacklist

That structure.

The model started out as a simple "profile" model. When I decided to full fuselage the model, it was necessary to reduce the weight as much as possible. Reason for all the holes AND the removal of wood in other areas.

I did remove a great deal of weight. The model would have been built differently if not started as a profile.

Blacklist

I'm almost at the end, I see that "Finish Line" in the near future, really in the near future.

What's left is just semi-gloss clear coat then assembly.

May be a bit before I get the clear on the model.

Blacklist

Users who are viewing this thread