1/8 Mig-3 But not really.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm not sure there were any stencils on the captured MiG-3. As far as the landing gear legs are concerned.. usually these were painted by Russians with the underside colour. In other words these could be of light blue or grey or silver paint. However Germans repainted the plane and it is very likely these legs were of RLM02.

I'm not sure there were any stencils on the captured MiG-3. As far as the landing gear legs are concerned.. usually these were painted by Russians with the underside colour. In other words these could be of light blue or grey or silver paint. However Germans repainted the plane and it is very likely these legs were of RLM02.

Wurger,

You're making me do my homework. Thank you for that.

These Robart struts started out gray. They could be gray again, is this what you are telling me?

Would they paint the wheel wells RLM02 also?

What about those fasteners?

Blacklist

Grey-RLM-02.gif

The RLM02 wasn't grey in fact it was green-grey one. The sample above looks properly for the colour. These wheel bays might have been of the paint as well. But the yellow coat is possible too.

What fasteners?

Wurger,

OK, so the gear should be cleaned up a bit?

Fasteners.

Please take a look at the fuselage photo. You will see tiny phillips head fasteners, fake obviously.

Bottom I used silver for the wing fairings. I thought the silver looked lame? Here's that photo which I forgot to Post.

Blacklist.

DSCN9332.jpg
DSCN9334.jpg
DSCN9335.jpg

Oh I see now. All planes are always painted overall. And the heads of fasteners are of the same colour the rest of plane is. During maintenace or repairing crew members used screwdrivers that could scratch the heads of the fasteners. But it could have been done at a few areas only.. I mean the engine cowling plates ( panels), the armament , radio hatches. In other words at all areas where the accessing to devices was required. But even though heads were scartched there was still some of colours left. So.. moderation... moderation and moderation again.

Gentleman,

Thank you for the kind remarks.

I don't mind fixes and my mistakes can and should be corrected.

Detail. The model isn't small, it's actually 50" in span, so a bit more detail in the obvious areas could work?

Like all these rivets, now that I'm viewing the model at this stage of development, it seems it was worth the effort.

Should the gear struts be gray green? If so, then what I have has to be changed. No big deal. I'm used to doing everything twice. LOL.

Wheel wells also? Gray green to match the struts or a tad darker or lighter? Wheel hubs also.

I do have a bit more I would like to do, like the faring that is on the stab, that could work? Possibly. I see there's a few more fuselage panels, small, but they are on the actual aircraft.

Antenna post and wire I should have? Possibly cables and brake lines on the wheel struts?
There's that multi colored spinner also which I have to tend to.

Blacklist

These landing gear legs look good and there is no reason for repainting them. Let them be as these are. The wheel wells can be either yellow or as I had suggested a couple pages earlier. The wheel bay doors: outside - yellow , inside - RLM02.
According to the known pic of the plane , she didn't have the antenna mast and wire.

And here Mig-3 leg...

leg.jpg

Wurger,

Thank you for that great photo.

I added more detail to the gear struts per Wurger's photo. Nothing drastic, just the double rods at the top and brake lines.

I used wire from an old servo, perfect size and shot it with that Rust-o-leum color I used on the top side. Thing is, the stuff doesn't dry all that well? Tacky, but not dry to the tuch.

Probably should have used waterbase.

Still tacky after three days.

Blacklist

Gnomey,

Thank you.

The brake line is still tacky. I even put it out in the Florida sun.

I'm thinking of carefully removing the paint and redoing the thing with waterbase paint. Give it a couple more days.

Blacklist.

DSCN9341.jpg

Wurger,

Thank you.

I was going to remove the paint from the rubber brake line because it won't completely dry. It's been tacky for a few days.

I was thinking of repainting it with waterbase paint.

The whole strut will get a clear coat to fuel proof it. So will the model.

Blacklist

Fired up the airbrush last night and this morning.

Four colors on this spinner, unfortunately.

Under the tape is yellow and black. I'll paint the red tip probably by hand. I'll decide on that.

I hate cleaning airbrush jars and the airbrush, reminds me of years of work.

Blacklist

DSCN9354.jpg

Here's the spinner painted as per the scheme I've chosen.

Now, is there any staining needed? Rivets?

looks to "clean."

Blacklist

DSCN9355.jpg

The spinner of the Mig-3 consisted of two parts. The front one was of the cone shape and could be dismounted. The second one was of the ring shape with holes for the prop blades roots. The panel line with a couple of screws between these two parts was running just in front of these blade slots. In your model it would be the back edge of the yellow ring. There weren't any stains on the spinner usually. Sometimes there could be indentations or scratches but not too often. There might have been some of dirt and dust just around the prop blade slots.The German captured Mig-3 had the spinner fresh repainted and it looked very clean.

Mi_G_3_159.jpg

mIG-3 DAMAGED.jpg

Last edited:
Wurger,

Thank you for the reply.

OK, so you're saying to just leave the spinner alone as it is, correct?

Now some bad news. Semi-gloss clear, the kind I need, isn't offered in aerosol cans.

I would have to spend 50.00 and change for a paint kit and run the paint through my spray gun.

I'm not keen on spending the 50.00 and change. The change isn't shipping, that's extra. :(

I'm thinking of using gloss clear which I could dial down using a compound or 00 steel wool.

However, I never have done this before and I'm not sure I can acheive that semi-gloss look this way? I will do a test panel.

This would be a great deal of work, to dial down the gloss on the entire model.

Blacklist.

Yes I think you should let it be as it is.

As far as the semi-gloss clear varnish is concerned... if the matt clear varnish is offered in aerosol cans just use it. Then apply the gloss clear but as a thin layer. It should give you the semi-gloss finish. The finall effect can depend on how the matt coat is deep. If it is quite deep matt you may apply two gloss layers. Just thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back