106 AAA AW BN C AG ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

trevor999

Recruit
Aug 1, 2007
Hi

Can anyone help with deciphering this? I know '106 AAA' means 106th Anti Aircraft Artillery, and the 'BN' means Battalion, but what does the 'AW', 'C', and 'AG" mean?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

This stands for 106th Anti-aircraft artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion. It was in liaison to the 45th Inf Div Aug 44 thru May 45 starting with the invasion of southern France in Aug 44. There were 4 batteries that provided anti-aircraft protection to HW 45th and the 3 field artillery battalions (one supporting each of the 3 infantry regiments in the 45th 157, 179, 180th). My father was assigned to C Battery and I have a picture of the unit crest.
Please contact me if you have any details about the 106th.
I have the monthly journals for the 106th from Jul 44 - May 45.
Chuck

Attachments

• 106th AAA AW BN crest I - Copy.jpg
    106th AAA AW BN crest I - Copy.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 387
My father was in the unit. It means "antiaircraft gunner"

My Dad also was in the 106th AAA. Battery C I believe. From N. Africa through the duration. When I saw this post, I had to register. Lot's of photographs on disc from his service.

Let me know if you want to exchange any data.

Al

R. Norbert Szwed The war years

One soldier from Detroit. The 106th AAA

The Beach Head News. The story of The 45th Infantry Division of the United States Army

http://szwed.org/anzio3.jpg

R. Norbert Szwed The war years

One soldier from Detroit. The 106th AAA

The Beach Head News. The story of The 45th Infantry Division of the United States Army

http://szwed.org/anzio3.jpg

I located the After action report of the battle of Anzio. It's enough to make your head explode.

"Guns ashore without proper ammunition are useless so proper provisions should have been made to insure an adequate supply of ammunition for each gun ashore regardless of any eventuality".

"Because of a storm which developed on 25th January forced a cessation of unloading activities for 36 hrs made the ammunition situation very acute. Gun batteries during the first 9 days of operation were forced to limit expenditures against each plane to a few rounds per gun". This is not the way to fight a war

http://szwed.org/Anzio.pdf
It the pdf file is slow to load choose the option to open with different viewer and choose TWINU. This report was prepared by Lt. Col. Yahle H. Wolfe entitled Antiaircraft defenses of Anzio beachhead

Last edited:
I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone had pics of the 106 AAA batterys ? My dad was with one,don't know how long or anything else ,other than they received some kind of comidation during his time. He did not talk much about his time served. Anything is good. thanks

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone had pics of the 106 AAA batterys ? My dad was with one,don't know how long or anything else ,other than they received some kind of comidation during his time. He did not talk much about his time served. Anything is good. thanks
My father was also with the 106th for the duration, started out as a calveryman. I would love any pic of the equipment and men

My father was also with the 106th for the duration, started out as a calveryman. I would love any pic of the equipment and men
On rest Nov 1944 Lt Jervis Braunstein Lt Henry Buikema Cpt A Paige Nuckols Lt Joe Chesko .jpg

My father, Henry Buikema, was with the 106th AAA from North Africa through the duration. First with "A" company and later with "D" company. I have more photos and info. Please reply if you are still active on this forum.
He took the photo below of Patton - I think in Sicily or North Africa.
Photos of General Patton by Henry Buikema Sicily 1943?.jpg

Battery A 106th? Piedemonte Italy Oct 29 1943 .jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am writing a history of US Army antiaircraft artillery from WWI through WWII. I appreciate all that you have entered regarding the 106th AAA. I am very interested in their history. I am currently writing about the unit at Kasserine Pass in North Africa, but will soon move on to Sicily and Italy. Attached are a couple of things I have found so far. The first one is about Hap Arnold's son, Hank, who took over the Battalion as commander in December 1943. The attachment is the unit summary for Dec 43.

Attachments

• 106th AA AW Bn (Henry Arnold cmding) Dec 43.pdf
    8.5 MB · Views: 218
Curious if any of you people are still active here. My dad was with the 106th AAA Aw Bn Sp from the beginning having been in the KY NG from 1938 - 1940 when the group was federalized into service. He was in Battery C.
I have a few photos from his time at Camp Hulen TX during basic training. I would love to see photos of Battery C if anyone has any to share.
Thanks!

If anyone is interested in learning more about the 106th and/or sharing pictures, histories, etc please join us on Facebook at Log in or sign up to view. The name of the forum is: 106th CA/AAA Aw. We are blessed to have some members who have shared so much with us since the forum was begun. We are happy to have anyone who is interested in this long-serving unit.

View attachment 544634

My father, Henry Buikema, was with the 106th AAA from North Africa through the duration. First with "A" company and later with "D" company. I have more photos and info. Please reply if you are still active on this forum.
He took the photo below of Patton - I think in Sicily or North Africa.
View attachment 544709
View attachment 544635
In the group photo, the man standing to the far right, back row looks like my dad Pfc Charles Neikirk. He was in Bty C of the 106th, but then I saw a post where someone said the soldiers went back and forth between the batteries. Any help is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back