1911 Martin-Handasyde Monoplane 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
I felt like doing something different and saw this old Pyro kit on the shelf. It is a pretty simple kit and should go rather quickly.

20240113_224320.jpg
20240113_224157.jpg

According to Scalemates The kit goes back to Impact kits in 1966, while the Pyro boxing I have is from 1970. The kits looks really nice for its age with some nice texturing for the fabric covered surfaces.

P1124060.JPG
P1124061.JPG

I did quite a bit of work on it over the last couple of days.
I glued the top of the fuselage onto the V shaped bottom, filled the joints and painted it. I also cleaned up the wings and tail parts, glueing the tail together and adding the cable struts to the wings getting them ready for the paint. Also cleaned up and glued the 4-part engine together.

20240113_224026.jpg

Yes, it was one of the kits released by "Inpact" of types used in the "Magnificent Men" movie.
I built their Gladiator back then, and have another, plus their Bulldog, and they were very advanced for the time, with internal detail etc.

Would this be a model of the plane depicted in Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines, "Antoinette"?
Though similar in appearance, the Martin-Handasyde Monoplane and the Antoinette series were completely different types. M-H quickly morphed into "Martinsyde", makers of the Elephant and Buzzard types; the latter seen as one of the best biplane fighters of WW1.

Yes, it was one of the kits released by "Inpact" of types used in the "Magnificent Men" movie.
I built their Gladiator back then, and have another, plus their Bulldog, and they were very advanced for the time, with internal detail etc.
I have 2 more of the kits from that movie, but later boxings. the Life-Like boxing of the Bristol Boxkite, which I built back in grade school, and the Lindberg boxing of the Bleriot Monoplane.

20240114_213920 (1).jpg
20240114_213943 (1).jpg

I did some more work on it last night painting the wings and tail and glueing them on.
For years now I have been resisting the change over from enamel paints to acrylic, but as some of my Model Master colors have been totally exhausted, I decided it was time and I bit the built and ordered a few bottles of Vallejo Model Air, and this was the first time I tried it out. So far so good. It sprayed on nicely. It did find out the hard way that it takes longer to cure. Although it seemed dry after a half hour I found it wasn't when I started rubbing on some pastel shading and rubbed some of the paint right off. I gave it a few hours of cure time and this was no longer a problem.
Well, here it is now. I'm not completely satisfied with the pastel shading and may wipe it off and try again, on the tail anyway.

20240114_213456 (1).jpg

Beautiful looking kite Glenn. I usually give Vallejo 24 hours to set before I touch it, never have any more problems than with other acrylics. I've noticed more builders going this way as well. Yes, it is a bit more fragile but I like it. Starting to read reviews about Mig Ammo paints right now. Looks very promising so far. They are compatible with Tamiya and cheaper

Love it Glenn.

I dont have too many issues with Vallejo, i use model colour range and as you know brush them on, give them an hour and i can mask and paint again !

What do you guys using Vallejo use to clean out the airbrush, or paint brushes? Water? Alcohol? This is all new to me, The only time I've used acrylic paints was about 20 years ago when I accidently picked up a couple of bottles of Model Master Acryl instead of the enamel. I seem to remember using alcohol so I used that to clean my airbrush this time, but if water will work, that's a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the warning George. The alcohol I used should be long evaporated out of the air brush by now and I will never use it again. I will be looking for some of that Vallejo cleaner.

You should be right then Glenn, I use it on my airbrush to give it a good clean through once I've cleaned out the paint and thinners from the last spray. I mostly spray with SMS paints now but will occasionally use a Tamiya, Life Color or Vallejo. :thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back