2017 European Theatre Day at FHC

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
I will be leaving shortly to drive out to Everett Washington for the European Theatre Day air show at the Flying Heritage and Combat Armour Museum. This year's show will feature the newly arrived Mosquito in addition to the other rare flyable warbirds in the collection. Hope to see the 88mm flak gun fire as well!

The weather forecast looks favourable and I'll post some pics perhaps as early as Saturday evening.

Made good time today and arrived at Paine Field at about lunch time. Grabbed a gyro and headed out to see what was going on. Aircraft being towed out to the apron and a photo shoot flight with the Zero and 109. The Zero was the camera ship and had the rear canopy removed for the photographer. The 190 fired up, taxied out with the other two, then turned back for some engine tweaks without taking off. Hopefully they'll get it sorted tomorrow. Anyway, here are a few teasers:

IMG_0842 post.jpg

This one was shot through a chain link fence so pardon the grey smudge in the bottom left.

IMG_0851 post.jpg
IMG_0852 post.jpg
IMG_0924 post.jpg
IMG_0934 post.jpg
IMG_0954 post.jpg

Thanks guys. It's 6:45am on Game Day, Sun is out and skies are blue. Should be good.

The decision to make will be positioning. The pictures above were taken at just after 4pm local time on the other side of the field from the museum. The runway runs north/south and the flight line is along the runway. With the show beginning at 1pm it will be a toss-up as to where the best pics can be taken and the taxiing shots will all be better on the museum side. A coin toss could be in the offing....

Heads wins. Stayed on the museum side and got the below taxi pics which would not have been possible from t'other side. The weather could to have been better for the show though, to be picky, a few clouds might have made for a better background for the flying shots. These will follow shortly as I sort through them plus I have lots of static shots that I may chose to bore you with at the end.

Turns out that whatever issue was plaguing the 190's BMW801 did not get resolved and she didn't fly today unfortunately. The 6 birds seen in the pics below made up the contingent for the short flying display.

IMG_1047 post.jpg
IMG_1057 post.jpg
IMG_1071post.jpg
IMG_1078 post.jpg
IMG_1095 post.jpg
IMG_1103 post.jpg
IMG_1070post.jpg

Unlike the P-47 which reflected the sunlight, the relatively dark uppers of the Spitfire turned out quite dark as it banked away from the sun. The first pic is unmodified and the second has been shopped to lighten shadows, something I don't do as a rule but I've thrown it in for interest.

IMG_1142 post.jpg
IMG_1142 shopped.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back