2018 FIFA World Cup (1 Viewer)

Your favorite to win the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What about the next generation of players ?
There was a guy on UK radio from Netherlands. He said when the premier league and other big Champions League clubs first went there to buy they bought great players, then they bought good players. They have taken so many good players from the Dutch league that those left are only "so so". Big clubs academies and teams are now taking players so young and under developed that the ones left will never develop. You become a great striker playing against great defenders and vice versa. Players like Depay and Babel were taken far too young to Man U and Liverpool. although Depay was a good striker in Netherlands and may become a great player at the top level he wasn't good enough at the time to get into Man Uniteds first team and without match competition he couldn't improve.

Ah well, we now have Max in the Formula 1. So we just change to car racing instead :DLess hooligans as well....
I remember when it was motorcycle racing with the late great Jack Middelburg. I saw him win the 500cc GP at Silverstone in 1981 which I think was the last win by a privateer in top flight M/cycle sport. You would have to be in Netherlands to be surrounded by more drunk celebrating Dutchmen.

You know pbehn, everybody has their own theory as to why this is. This one I didn't hear yet, but it was only a matter of time before someone started blaming other countries.
It was a long and interesting discussion Marcel which he backed up with lots of facts. When the premier league was formed the best players for Ajax were some of the best in the world. Van Nistelroy, Bergkamp and Overmars would get in almost any top team and improve it. Depay I believe was a top scorer in the Eredivisie but no where near good enough at Man United. The UK has the opposite problem because so many top players come here and huge numbers of teenagers from everywhere. The chances of someone eligible to play for England getting through Chelseas academy and into the England team are almost zero. Even Kevin De Breune and Romelu Lukaku left Chelsea to get first team football while Pogba was sold for buttons to Juve by Man united and then bought back for £100 million.

The same has been said about the whole of South America, their teams like Argentina are no where near as good as they used to be because their leagues have been "over fished"

You know pbehn, everybody has their own theory as to why this is. This one I didn't hear yet, but it was only a matter of time before someone started blaming other countries.

You cannot blame foreigners for Depay leaving, he was signed by Van Gaal when he managed Man United.

Last edited:
U.S. is out. And after Fox paid $200MM for the TV rights. Ouch!

That wont happen again FIFA hope. I don't mean that the USA will take steps to win through I mean that FIFA will take steps to make sure they qualify in future. They will award USA a future world cup or change the qualification system. That may seem like a wild conspiracy theory until you look where the present Under 17 tournament is being held INDIA. India has no history of playing football at all but has 1.3 billion people which is all that interests the marketing people. While everyone says they love seeing Iceland at major tournaments the finance people hate it. They don't put on a World Cup for teams from a little island to turn up. They would rather have two pub teams from India and China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back