2022 World Cup - Qatar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I enjoy football (soccer for the American readers) and played it socially with friends in my teenaged years. Like most kids of my generation (well, boys anyway) I spent most of my time with baseball in the summer and hockey in the winter. Like most Scots and Irish (I'm both), I enjoy contact sports followed by a few pints or drams.

Given that scenario, I have always been baffled by two apparently well practiced, and sanctioned, plays in football:
1. the constant waving of the hands in the air, presumably to get the referee's attention in an attempt to make sure he hasn't forgotten you, and
2. the violent throwing of ones-self to the ground as if poleaxed by an opponent who is now at least four strides away from you, and thrashing around violently while holding ones hands to ones face.

This is not a whinge or gripe about two incidents (that I happened to witness) during Canada's journey to qualification - we not only got there, but ended up first in our division, so who gives a wee.....! However, I am dying to know what causes a man, a finely tuned athlete, to behave like a five year old kid (my apologies to the 5 years olds of the world) during one of the most important athletic tournaments on the planet?

beannachd leat
Good luck to all
The reason why Association Football (soccer) is so popular is the injustice of it. Of all major games played in the world it is the game where the best team is least likely to win. Every spectator can walk away from a game convinced that they were robbed by the referee, the linesman, the weather, the ball, and any other conspiracy theories. England were famously ROBBED of a win in the days of goal posts being made of rectangular pieces of wood, a round post would have put the ball in the net. No one likes the play acting, but it works and gets decisions, like the goal against Manchester United ruled out by the video referee for a foul in the build up. If a goal hadnt resulted no one would say it was a foul. There you see, injustice and a pro Man U conspiracy theory. Leicester fans will dine out on that for at least 2 weeks. Most is to do with it being a professional sport with millions at stake on a game. In the formative years of football, the "Corinthians" who put sporting fair play above all things, didnt believe in the concept of a penalty kick. To award a penalty for a deliberate foul
was a serious slur on a mans character. The Corinthians was a London club but popularised the game around the world and present day Brazilian side FC Corinthians Paulista are named after them.

It's popular because it's unjust? Well, I guess I now know why I don't follow it.
Listen to football fans, they wuz always robbed. Tottenham Hotspur are currently 4th in the English Premier League, their third highest "scorer" is own goals, so maybe they have a point at times.

Last edited:
Listen to football fans, they wuz always robbed. Tottenham Hotspur are currently 4th in the English Premier League, their third highest "scorer" is own goals, so maybe they have a point at times.

I don't know a sport today that the fans do not think they were robbed by the zebras.

Here are the final groups:

Group A
1. Qatar
2. Ecuador
3. Senegal
4. Netherlands

Group B
1. England
2. Iran
3. United States
4. Wales

Group C
1. Argentina
2. Saudi Arabia
3. Mexico
4. Poland

Group D
1. France
2. Australia
3. Denmark
4. Tunisia

Group E
1. Germany
2. Spain
3. Costa Rica
4. Japan

Group F
1. Belgium
2. Canada
3. Croatia
4. Morocco

Group G
1. Brazil
2. Serbia
3. Switzerland
4. Cameroon

Group H
1. Portugal
2. Ghana
3. Uruguay
4. South Korea

I am curious to see if all my inlaws who are expat Italians cheer for Canada with as much fervor as they would have for Italy if the Italians had have qualified. They bloody well better. My guess is no and they for sure will not call in sick to work to watch the Canadians play. I mean, they only came here in the early to mid 6os so they have lived here longer than the country they left as it offered them nothing but more poverty.

Cheers

Jeff

T-Minus 10 Days to the opening game!

I honestly don't expect much from my German team, but I hope they make it far enough and we can somehow get a Germany vs. Netherlands game so that everyone can get a nice dose of DerAldler vs. Marcel Marcel shit talking. :D

Got my new jersey in the mail, and I'm ready for the games to begin.

A656021F-9BD2-4179-997F-090AF68E0C5A.jpeg

DD63547B-EA3B-4533-BE44-FDAEC7A811E0.jpeg

If there were anyone that made a jersey big enough for my fat body, I'd get a US one even though I have even lower expectations for them.

T-Minus 10 Days to the opening game!

I honestly don't expect much from my German team, but I hope they make it far enough and we can somehow get a Germany vs. Netherlands game so that everyone can get a nice dose of DerAldler vs. Marcel Marcel shit talking. :D

Got my new jersey in the mail, and I'm ready for the games to begin.
Looking forward to that, always fun :lol:

For the others, don't start to report us once that happens. ;) Some people here have shown to be a bit light skinny and report quite quickly. It's such a bother to have to dismiss that all the time. We will be deliberately very unrespectful about each others countries, but we both know every time who is talking and what the intent is, so no harm done. I'm not an itchy nationalist anyway, so anyone can talk rubbish about The Netherlands all they want, I won't be bothered at all (except when it comes to WW2 of course).

Looking forward to that, always fun :lol:

For the others, don't start to report us once that happens. ;) Some people here have shown to be a bit light skinny and report quite quickly. It's such a bother to have to dismiss that all the time. We will be deliberately very unrespectful about each others countries, but we both know every time who is talking and what the intent is, so no harm done. I'm not an itchy nationalist anyway, so anyone can talk rubbish about The Netherlands all they want, I won't be bothered at all (except when it comes to WW2 of course).

Exactly, its all in good fun, and honestly in the spirit of an amazing football rivalry! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back