2022 World Cup - Qatar (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The following teams qualified today:

Ghana
Senegal
Portugal
Poland
Tunisia
Morocco
Cameroon

Five more spots left.
Senegal qualifying will have caused a few issues in the Liverpool dressing room. Mane scored the winning penalty, Salah missed his, a re run of the ACN final where Senegal also beat Egypt in the final. My wife is a Liverpool fan since the sixties.

We have a soccer team?
I pay more attention to the women's team honestly because they can play rings around the US men's team. Though admittedly, I do pay far more attention to the men's team than I do the NFL anymore. Bleh. Footy is hardly perfect but I'm tired of the NFL and it's rapists and child abusers, one set of standards if you're a star and another if you're a peon (looking at you Aaron Rodgers) and ignoring blatant medical problems till forced to concede a tiny bit (concussions & CTE)

Here's hoping the men's team can get it together long enough to get to the round of 16 I'll be happy and then probably cheer for either England or Germany.

A few spots still open, but the draw is in…

95978173-2230-420B-96A1-7A4E9594A0D2.jpeg

I really hope that Iran disqualifies for what happened at Emam Reza stadium, in Mashad!

Some great ties in there, unless Scotland qualify of course.
I enjoy football (soccer for the American readers) and played it socially with friends in my teenaged years. Like most kids of my generation (well, boys anyway) I spent most of my time with baseball in the summer and hockey in the winter. Like most Scots and Irish (I'm both), I enjoy contact sports followed by a few pints or drams.

Given that scenario, I have always been baffled by two apparently well practiced, and sanctioned, plays in football:
1. the constant waving of the hands in the air, presumably to get the referee's attention in an attempt to make sure he hasn't forgotten you, and
2. the violent throwing of ones-self to the ground as if poleaxed by an opponent who is now at least four strides away from you, and thrashing around violently while holding ones hands to ones face.

This is not a whinge or gripe about two incidents (that I happened to witness) during Canada's journey to qualification - we not only got there, but ended up first in our division, so who gives a wee.....! However, I am dying to know what causes a man, a finely tuned athlete, to behave like a five year old kid (my apologies to the 5 years olds of the world) during one of the most important athletic tournaments on the planet?

beannachd leat
Good luck to all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back