#40...Heavy Hitters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The colour of the 'leatherette' was somewhere between Emerald Green and Bottle Green - from my memory going back to the 1960s, when some of the old trains and buses were still in service !
The information was published in an article in Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine, when the 'Matchbox' Halifax kit was first released in the early 1980's, and confirmed to me by a neighbour (now deceased) who flew Halifaxes.
Not sure where I found these but they definitely were scrounged off the net, just no idea where from so I hope there are no issues.
These are from a Lancaster but I think would be fairly representative
lancinterior5_zpslftq27eq.jpg
lancinteriorengineerspanel_zpsti2ei4vm.jpg

Yep, that's a very similar shade as used on the London Transport Aircraft Group Halifax seat covers.
The Flight Engineer's seat base, at left in the second pic, is a better comparison, as it hasn't been 'lightened' by the effects of the camera flash.
Thanks for posting.

I would say yes it does although she wasn't as heavy as the Halifax or Lancaster. ;)

I'm thinking that I've been wanting to do this for some time. I have an Ar 234 (Monogram Pro Modeler) and I have the Son of a B*&%ch II (SB2C-4 Monogram Pro Modeler) I'm not 100% sure at this time but I think the SB2C-4 in USS Bunker Hill's VB-84 on the Tokyo raids is gonna be the thing.

20180826_191519.jpg
20180826_191527.jpg

This is shaping up to be a doozy of a GB. Lots of potential a/c types, some rarely seen in past builds.

IF and I say IF I get the Halifax done early what do you think about a Stringbag as heavy hitter eligible? Not a heavyweight by comparison to some but she certainly punched at the heavyweight level
on a few occasions.

If it is not qualifed I do have other options so I will not be disappointed.

Jeff

So far Ive found two assembly ships that don't require expensive decals: a B-24D (I have) with green and yellow stripes over Olive Drab and a B-17F (I may have) with red stripes over white/silver(?). Back to minin'.... over.

Is the plastic on thoes Pro Modeler boxes from the old Monogram molds with all the rivets or are they newer with resesed panel lines?
No this is a whole new design. Nice! the wings don't fold so I have the Wolf Pack wing fold for them. THe PM kit comes with PE for the engine wiring and the dive brakes.
20180827_130501.jpg
20180827_130508.jpg
20180827_130518.jpg
20180827_130529.jpg
20180827_130624.jpg
20180827_130630.jpg
20180827_130635.jpg
20180827_130657.jpg

This is what I have chosen...

upload_2018-8-31_17-17-55.png

from a Hussar Productions decal sheet
...as luck will have it, the Revell kit includes the "Circle C". I'll have to figure out the stripe widths and the actual aircraft has greyed out codes and yellow serial numbers on the tail. The kit fuselage decals are 3 times the size in the profile but I have some that will fit. The fuselage is natural metal, the wings and horizontal stabs are OD/NG. The inner vertical stabs are natural metal with OD/NG on the rudders and a large green circle, the color of the stripes.
The book "Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth" show two different versions. The first version still has the Mgs in the upper and rear turret, the inner engine nacelles are green, the outer nacelles are yellow and there are also yellow stripes on the tail. The later version is unarmed and the nacelles are now yellow and green striped as above. Hannants does have the above as a decal sheet but the shipping was almost twice the price of the sheet

Last edited:
I've been hesitating about this, I'm a bit scared and intimidated about doing it, but I have every thing I need to do her. "Joltin' Josie The Pacific Pioneer", Monogram 1/48 B-29A, will be my subject for this build. If I can finish her in time, I'll look at the Helldiver. I've been working on getting everything for this for a while now and I might as well follow through with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back