#40...Heavy Hitters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How could I have guessed it would be so irritating finding decal sheets!!!!!
All I am after is the tail code "6Y" WHITE at 10mm tall, 2 copies.
The serial numbers "327670" YELLOW at 3.5mm tall, 2 copies.
Backup_of_YDD_2.jpg

For this entry in GB40. So simple, ay? I find sheets covered with letters and 6 letters. Not even a complete alphabet!!!!!! I tell you.
Sheets covered in numbers galore in yellow.............
Anyone got any.........?
I'm goin for the rum and coke!

Most letters/numbers sheets will have the full alphabet, albeit maybe only three or four of each, but when shown on web-sites, probably only display the top sheet of two sheets, hence only maybe six letters showing.
In 1/48th scale, virtually all sizes of US letters / numbers are available, from various manufacturers, in white, black and yellow. Also, some other scales, for example 1/72nd, can often supply the required sizes, by using a 'large' 1/72nd scale character for a 'smaller' 1/48th example.

This is what I have chosen...

View attachment 508067
from a Hussar Productions decal sheet
...as luck will have it, the Revell kit includes the "Circle C". I'll have to figure out the stripe widths and the actual aircraft has greyed out codes and yellow serial numbers on the tail. The kit fuselage decals are 3 times the size in the profile but I have some that will fit. The fuselage is natural metal, the wings and horizontal stabs are OD/NG. The inner vertical stabs are natural metal with OD/NG on the rudders and a large green circle, the color of the stripes.
The book "Assembly Ships of the Mighty Eighth" show two different versions. The first version still has the Mgs in the upper and rear turret, the inner engine nacelles are green, the outer nacelles are yellow and there are also yellow stripes on the tail. The later version is unarmed and the nacelles are now yellow and green striped as above. Hannants does have the above as a decal sheet but the shipping was almost twice the price of the sheet

If you have one of those cheep digital micrometers its easy to do George.
I did the Magnum PI chopper like this:
-Measure the width of the stripe on the profile. Say 3.5mm (totally made up number)
-Measure a dimension of part of the airframe on the profile like the width of the tail 12.8mm (again, totally made up)
-Divide stripe by the tail 3.5/12.8=.02734
-Measure the width of the tail of the model and multiply that by the .02734 number (the one you came up with) and that will give you the width of the stripe.
Works every time!

How could I have guessed it would be so irritating finding decal sheets!!!!!
All I am after is the tail code "6Y" WHITE at 10mm tall, 2 copies.
The serial numbers "327670" YELLOW at 3.5mm tall, 2 copies.
View attachment 508768

For this entry in GB40. So simple, ay? I find sheets covered with letters and 6 letters. Not even a complete alphabet!!!!!! I tell you.
Sheets covered in numbers galore in yellow.............
Anyone got any.........?
I'm goin for the rum and coke!
Bill, i got the white 6and Y in 10 mm scales to 18inches also got them in 13mm 24 inches ?
Are the 6's round or 45'angled ?

That's great. The kit decals scale at 10mm, 1/72 scale and they are 45 degree corners.
The yellow serials are 3.5mm+/- on the decal sheet.
Beauty!

So Bill, as I do hate to sound dumb or ill-informed, I do it quite well, therefore please what is "Davidson"?

Davidson is my Sir name, last name.
Rather than do random planes, and I seldom do Axis aircraft, I do planes with some connection to myself even tho they are not direct family they do have the same Last name. I do planes I have had close association with as well.
I have done some unusual as Captured Axis by Americans and Aussies. A couple of Allied with tragic stories, RAAF and RAF.
I am doing Merlin's Magic Mustang that raced at Reno in Start to Finish, I did the nose art on her when I was a sign painter in the U.S. Also doing a Lockheed Constellation based at the HARS museum here in NSW in Start to Finish, I was a member of the museum. It's one of only two airworthy Connies flying in the world.
So in a nutshell, that's my story.

Bill, have you done Barry Davidson's Blenheim? Shot down on his first mission, ended up at Stalag Luft III and became the scrounged in the Great Escape. I work with his son.

Bill, have you done Barry Davidson's Blenheim? Shot down on his first mission, ended up at Stalag Luft III and became the scrounged in the Great Escape. I work with his son.

I sure did...................
Look in GB#18
It's one of my fav stories to tell.
Say hello for me. Ask if he has a model of this plane, but then there is a 1:1 in the museum!!!!!

I thought you might have done this one Bill but I was too lazy to go back and look. Yes, we have a full scale representation of Davidson's rig here in Nanton. It's actually a Bollingbroke and not quite right but close enough.

IMG_0327.jpg

I thought you might have done this one Bill but I was too lazy to go back and look. Yes, we have a full scale representation of Davidson's rig here in Nanton. It's actually a Bollingbroke and not quite right but close enough.

Just looked up Bollingbroke, had no idea.
Differences were simple to severe.
Just length of nose, to wayyyy underpowered.
Interesting.

Went out to San Antonio (Lackland AFB) and shot some pictures of the look alike B-29. They had just graduated a new batch of Airman from basic training, to think I marched those same parade grounds 41 years ago come last month! The cloudy days were yesterday, the sunny days are about 12 years old.

20180923_150203-1.jpg
20180923_150839-1.jpg
20180923_151008-1.jpg
Lackland AFB (55)-1.jpg
Lackland AFB (57)-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back