#40...Heavy Hitters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd have to build a new cabinet outside for this one!!!!
Thanks for giving me this one!!!!!
I now have 127 Davidsons who served...............

LOL sounds to me like you have a life time of models to build then. Time to get going :)

Suuuuuure, like my wife would welcome a house full of kits!
Besides, I don't have a lifetime to build.

It seems to me that I will get two models for this GB, an aichi M6a1 seiran and a tupolev tu2.
And if I had time I would put a su2 in resin of the battle of kursk that needs a lot of love and work is a mold of the first to appear in resin and is like this

probably going to go with my ICM Heinkel He111.

slightly local to me the crash site is approx 30 miles east of where i live

i need to see if i have the white F's for the fuselage sides but i think i have all the other decals needed but will need to check on that

This Heinkel HeIII was one of a number of aircraft that had taken off in the early morning of 3rd February 1940 to attack shipping off the North East coastline of Britain. The loss is probably the most widely known Luftwaffe loss in Yorkshire. Three of the Luftwaffe aircraft failed to return to their bases, two of which crashed into the sea off Northumberland and the other is detailed below.
This Heinkel was first picked up by the Danby Beacon Chain Home system at 09.03hrs whilst sixty miles out to sea. Allied fighters were scrambled to intercept these aircraft flying at around a thousand feet and located them at 09.40hrs. This Heinkel had just made an attack on a trawler when it was intercepted by three Hurricanes piloted by F/Lt Peter Townsend (L2116), F/O Patrick Folkes (L1723) and Sgt Jim Hallowes (L1847) of 43 Squadron based at Acklington. Townsend made the first attack and damaged the HeIII's starboard engine, his attack also killed one of the German crew, Uffz Leushake. Folkes was next to attack, his bullets also found their mark damaging the fuselage and hitting another German crewman in the stomach, Uffz Meyer, who later died from these injuries. Hallowes positioned himself clear but heading off any possible escape which the Heinkel's crew may have hoped for. During the attacks that followed another airman, Uffz Missy, was shot in the leg, these injuries would later result in his leg being amputated. The Heinkel was by now severely damaged and was on it's way down, the Luftwaffe pilot had no choice but to make a forced landing on land. The aircraft flew very low across Whitby and out into the countryside beyond. By all accounts it had been shot at until it was on the ground, where upon it ploughed through a snow covered field, a hedge and a tree and came to rest near the farm cottages at Bannial Flat Farm, Whitby. Locals had already started to follow the stricken bomber even before it was on the ground, it was apparently so clear that it would crash soon after. Unfortunately with one airman dead and the other dying soon afterwards it was the first enemy aircraft to crash on English soil.
Soon after the aircraft was down a large crowd gathered at the site, some being hostile to the survivors, at the time shipping from the East Coast was being attacked by these enemy aircraft, this could be quite easily understood. I understand from witnesses that the two dead airmen were removed from the wreckage and placed out of sight of the crowd in the cottage outhouse, the two survivors were also taken away briefly and looked after in the nearby farm house until they were safely removed to hospital. A full account of this incident is to be found in Bill Norman's "Broken Eagles" book.
Pilot - Fw Hermann Wilms. Survived.
Wireless Operator (/Dorsal Gunner) - Uffz Karl Missy. Wounded in both legs but survived.
Observer - Uffz Rudolf Leushake, aged 23. Died almost instantly. Buried Cannock Chase Cemetery, Staffordshire.
Mechanic (/ Ventral Gunner) - Uffz Johann Meyer, aged 25. Severely wounded. Buried Cannock Chase Cemetery, Staffordshire.

plane495.jpg

1hfma.jpg

1hfme.jpg

pictures from here
Aircraft accidents in Yorkshire

I want to progress my ship build, but now I want to make an entry for this GB.

You guys suck for getting indecision into my head.......

I should post a clarification, though no one has tried to move outside the build parameter set by the poll. the full title of this GB is

GB 40 WW2 Heavy Hitters (Bomber a/c only, no fighters)

No pre or post war bombers and no fighter bombers guys. that was very strongly stipulated in the nomination.

Last edited:
My target....

1540493948182.png

I notice on this photo that the tail markings "S 19 TECH AIR INTEL UNIT - S.W.P.A." aren't applied yet or are censored and I'm going with censored. I'm going to print my own once I figure out the sizes. With all that whacking great canopy framing, I ordered an Eduard masking set

Geo This will be a project in my head to do when I get the cón in 1/48 the decals I have "centuries" but at this scale, I just need the model or rather the gap where I can justify my wife's purchase of the model, before buying the wood for the porch or for the purchase of a tractor for the land

...... or for the purchase of a tractor for the land

Now I want a tractor.....and land. :)(I miss the old smiley) As I suspected, the above photo was censored as seen in this original photo

1540570521355.png

I nailed the font and size on my second try but with my printer, it was illegible and smeared. I very briefly entertained the thought of getting the appropriately sized letters in 1:72 and manually making up the "TECH AIR INTEL UNIT - S.W.P.A." but 7 of the 8 voices in my head pooh-poohed this. I do have this in decal form from Rising Decals "Dying Sun" series but I was saving it for my Ki.84. Oh well....Frank will have to wait

Yep.. I have seen the pic at the Asisbiz site but there is the thumbnail accessed only. The large and of better quality shot can't be displayed because of damaged file. But it is enough to see that's the H version of the bomber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back