#40...Heavy Hitters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The day this GB starts will be night #2 for me in camp so I might as well prepare for this now. I've been on the Googler now since around 1800hrs my time looking for an answer about the Nakajima cockpit interior color. The first is from IPMS Stockholm... and the second is from Cybermoder...

1540785692001.png
1540785865136.png

There are no direct Tamiya color match: one source wants an 85/5/5/5 mix, that ain't gonna happen. The book "Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940-1945" show a color similar if you ignore the camera flash. Now comes the fun part. Once you've turned four pages, the interior color is now similar to RAF Interior Green. Tamiya has this color as XF-71 Cockpit Green. This or shades like it are what I see in the majority of Nakajima aircraft builds. Aeormaster has a color called Nakajima Cockpit Green, also similar to RAF. J-Aircraft.com seem to agree with this color for Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft, at least the closest match. So there you have it, which is correct?

My reference says the FS x4255 / x4257... Generally it is stated it was a "o-ryoku-shoku" - yellowish-green paint
The suggested paint is the Gunze Mr Color 127 or the mix Tamiya 60% XF4 + 20% XF13 + 15% XF21 + 5% XF2

fs34255.jpg

and ..

JC.jpg

Also found this for the White Ensign Paints...

Photo 3 WEM Interiors.jpg

Chip 4 - 'Nakajima Interior Grey-Green' ACJ04. Similar to but lighter than FS 14257 and the out-of-production Aeromaster acrylic 'Nakajima Cockpit' color. The chip labeled 'Naka Int' is Ryan Toews's match to Nakajima artifacts from the Blayd collection. I have not seen any examples of a Nakajima cockpit color other than from the Zero shot down on Midway which was a dark green color close to 'Kawasaki Army Green' ACJ 09

Also I found that the colour you posted above was identified a brush painted tan colour measured as 3.2 Y 7.6/3.5 as being seen in the cockpits of two A6M3 aircraft, a Model 32 and 22, the closest FS equivalent being 33578. This colour is identified as N38 in the later Mikesh book. Ichiro Hasegawa has also reported a matt yellow, similar to this colour, as being seen in the cockpit of an A6M2 aircraft.

zerointcolors.jpg

To sum up .. I would follow the FS x4255 or x4257 rather than the FS 33448. The sandy paint seems to be used for Zero planes mostly than for the B6N2. The FS x4255 paint is identified as the N6 Buff Green, measured as 7.5 Y 5/4, with the closest FS equivalent to which is just the 14255.

Funny, my chart shows XF49 as Khaki??????
And I didn't know it was That dark until I went and looked at the JAR!!!!!!!!!
krickey

Last edited:
Hello to all the GB40 guys, I hope you are excited about this 3rd adventure (for some of you).
I must tell you that I appreciate the invitation and advice from Andy, to join my self for the first time to this select group of modelers. Tomorrow I go on a trip and return until Tuesday, but I will be connected to register my thread and exchange opinions.
I will participate with a Heinkel He-111 and the version can be H4, 5 or 6. I already have on the shelf a He-111-22 with German scheme.
I was doing the task in Google and I want to do a different scheme, thinking of captured aircrafts or of another nationality, but during the years of WWII.
I already have some photos and we will give it shape with their advice and recommendations.

Saludos :thumbup:
Luis Carlos
SANCER

I was thinking about resurrecting the HK 1/32 B-25 I had started only done the bombardier section but I think better yet I like to do the ole Revell 1/32 Mossie got new decals/stencils for the plane nothing fancy I mind you keeping it simple.I have other things on the plate but like how I finished the Hawk 75 I think I can work in an easy kit and show Luis how to mutter things up :)

Hi Kevin, it's nice to see you here, ... but it's more fun to know that you're encouraged to join the group.
Any small bomber in 1/32, it will be something big to admire.

Do not be late in deciding, amigo mío. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back