5" 38 Mark 28 Twin Gun Secondary Battery from Iowa Class Battleships

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

What did you learn?

Thanks, and here are the Really Done Pictures!

Thanks Guys! Today's a big day. I'm declaring it DONE! While I'm saying that, I'm printing out one last part. There are curved transition pieces from the ship's bulkheads to the UHR corners. I may not use them because putting them in risks making mistakes and mess when the model is really done and clean. I'll how well they fit and then decide.

Having spare printed railing parts, I removed all the initial E-Z Line rails, and replaced that broken right end stanchion. I also reinforced the very delicate joint between the turnbuckle and the stanchion with Bondic on both ends giving some more heft to the part. Doing it the second time went much faster than the first. I harden the tip of the E-Z Line with thin CA and then slice the end to a sharp angle to facilitate getting it through the stanchion eyes. I painted the stanchions and the outer waterway trim Life Color Haze Gray and then went over the E-Z Line with a fat headed Molotow Chrome Pen. I'm now at ease about that rail. I didn't like having it screwed up especially since I now had the time to fix it.

![View attachment 781623View attachment 781625View attachment 781626View attachment 781627View attachment 781629View attachment 781630View attachment 781631

And now with the case on…

View attachment 781633View attachment 781634View attachment 781635

I have to set a date with Ryan for delivery after the ship is back at its home berth.

So… left me do an after-action report. Let's say, a Plus, Minus, Interesting review.

Plus:
1. 5"38 was a very complex structure which I really didn't know if I could pull it off. The fact that I did AND that it follows so closely to my original drawings was a definite Plus.
2. The challenge to display the layers in roughly the correct geometric relationship to the real ship came out well. The magaizine's offset from the gun is very close to prototype distance.
3. Creating the AV program to show details of the model that aren't readily seen was a good solution to the problem. Thanks to Bryant for the idea, and the acceptance of it by Ryan.
4. When the Takom kit was out of stock, I really didn't know if I could proceed. The gun house's geometry, the shape and delicacy of the guns themselves had to be solved for the model to work. My skills had progressed to the point where I thought I could scratch-build all of it. Clearly, that was true.
5. I am not patient, but I am very persistent. Making five versions of the complex front mechanism proved that point.
6. My acrylic case-building skills continue to evolve. I'm not perfect yet, but I've come a long way.
7. Managing LED light installations are getting easier and more predictable.
8. Screwing the decks in place was a good idea and more positive than gluing them all.
9. The wood deck came out terrific. I'm glad I chose to do it.
10. Having two models now being displayed in the real ship is a life goal achieved. When I was offered a place in the captain's cabin of my Missouri model, but couldn't get it there on my own, I thought that was the first and last chance to have something displyed where it would exist after I'm gone. Through the effort I make to communicate all this stuff to folks all over the world is the reason that I was able to contact Ryan Syzmanski. The rest is history.

Minus:
1. Unhappy with alignment of upper hoists. When I reglued the units after they had broken loose, I didn't pay enough attention to this. Most (or all) of the viewers probably won't notice, but I know
2. I chose to not create the Splinter Deck Lattice so it stretched all the way across the Splinter Deck. This created a very squishy cantilever that I need to reinforce with plastic posts that ARE NOT on the ship.
3. If I did it again, I would split the gun house down the middle and leave half off fully exposing the insides. It would have shown more to the viewers, although may have been less interesting where viewers have to pay close attention to see what's going on inside.
4. Still haven't figured out the best way to make those snaky hoist trunks. Messing with them at the very end could have crashed the project.
5. Some parts, like those tiny turnbuckles, were just too frail and I should have done something different.
6. Even with my foresight of installing guns last and how to handle the sight telescopes, the telescopes did not work out well. If I did it again, havind half open would make that problem go away.
7. More light is needed at the very front of the Magazine to show off the hoist side facing the viewers. I could have installed an LED aimed at the cutaway to do this.

Interesting:
1. I know know enough about the main and secondary armament systems of the Iowas to be a docent. If we still lived in the Philly area, I would volunteer there.
2. Watching my relationship with Ryan change from casual, arm's length to full colleague was fun and rewarding.
3. Because of my contribution to the Big J and being able to have that amazing private tour of the bottom was worth all the effort.
4. It is franky, fun, building models that no one else, anywhere, has ever constructed. The icing on the cake is doing them well enough to be displayed to the public.
5. Having been a model builder for 70 years, it is wonderful to be well-enough, have enough cognitive strength, and the creativity to do the best work I've ever done.
6. It has been a great pleasure sharing all of this with you.
One of the pro's you can add was giving all of us here a ring side seat to this endeavor. You sir are a true artisan!

Being cognitive enough to Appreciate the results
and energy you have put into this masterpiece
is truly reward enough as well.

Incredibles 1 is one of my favorite Pixar movies.

Thanks for all the wonderful thoughts!

I decided to do just one more thing. I drew, printed and now fit the transition pieces between the superstructure bulkhead and the UHR. It bugged me that I hadn't done it. Tomorrow I'll glue the two of them in place… very carefully. I was able to draw and print that nice intersecting curved portion so it nestled in correctly.

5IP Transition Piece L.JPG

5IP Transition Piece R.JPG

And painted (not glued)

5IP Transition Piece Painted.jpg

So… tomorrow it will be completely done!

These will be the last posts on this topic until I deliver the model in late July.

It's now OFFICIALLY DONE with the additional of the transition pieces. I am not happen with the final result. My test fitting seemed tighter than the glued-in part. Don't know how that could happen. The glue film was quite thin. It still works, but I really wanted it flush. I screwed the case back on and it's never coming off (unless something breaks).

5IP Trnsition  Piece 1.jpg

5IP Trnsition  Piece 2.jpg

Until the next time, it's been great sharing with y'all!

I now posting my Takom AH-64D Apache build at Takom 1/35 AH-64D Longbow Start-to-Finish Build. It's a little too modern for the WW2 aircraft site… that is unless you guys want to see it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back