5 Series Italian Fighters -- No Respect

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Naw I think id choose the SM.79 over the Beau, the Sparviero could carry 2 torpedoes :D

1940_Pisa%20SM.79_01w.jpg

I think the best italian plane of ww2 is the Fiat G-55 centauro. The combination of the italian design and the engine technology of the Germany give as result a very fine figther.

FiatG55-1.jpg

yes, before we won it outright.............

and i would rather torp. bomb in a beau than a Sparviero, so what if you only get one chance, atleast you can fight your way there and back.............

but did they have the range to follow the bomber out and back?? you should know that defensive guns are normally pretty useless when you're under attack, moreso as the .79 didn't have turrets as such.....

The Reggiane 2005 was other of the DB-605 club but was little more heavy, and in my opinion les slender in appareance.

Anyway it was a good looking plane.

re2005%20foto2.jpg

re2005.jpg

In May of 1943, the first Sagittarios entered service with the Regia Aeronautica. The first prototype and several of the zero series aircraft were used operationally by the 362a Squadriglia, 22o Gruppo at Naples-Capodichino starting in May 1943, being used to defend Rome and Naples. The squadron had developed a rather daring method of attacking Allied B-17s which involved diving head-on with all guns blazing, then flipping the aircraft over on its back and diving away at the last minute.The Reggiane had good behaviour in close dogfight and , according to General Minguzzi, who flew both Re 2005 and Spitfire, was even better than the Spit in tight turns and handling.The operative life of the Sagittario was concluded by the Armistice , that came in the September 1943.

There was a proposal of twin boom long range fighter.
airplane based of Re-2005
image008.jpg

KraziKanuK said:
Don't forget the Italian torpedo bombers. They had good stats.

There was a combat test flight between a 109 and a Italian fighter and the Itie fighter gave it a tough time. (can't remember the details though)
I believe it was a Fiat G55 , also found to be a match for the fw 190 a

Heres a little something for you people who think the Italians were useless cowards who didnt know how to fight a war...

Not really on topic, but I just wanna prove a point...

RUSSIA

August - Russians near Serafimovich launch a counterattack against the Italians holding the Don River in the hope of holding back the advances to Stalingrad. The Italians were outnumbered yet told to stand their ground and fight to the end. They eventually beat back the Russian tanks with Molotov cocktails. The battle in Serafimovich cost the Italians 1,700 men, but captured were 1,600 Russian POW's and many small arms.

August 24 - With the victory in Serafimovich, the Italian Savoia Cavalry made up of 600 men mounted a counter attack on the Isbuschenski steppe. The Russian's forces were comprised of 2,000 men with mortar and artillery support. One squadron of cavalry attacked head on, while the other came behind the enemy lines on horseback and possessing only sabers. They caught the Soviets completely by surprise and overran the Russian position.

This was one of the last calvary attacks of World War II and resulted in the destruction of 2 Soviet battalions, another battalion forced to withdraw and the netting of 500 POW's, 4 large artillery pieces, 10 Mortars, and 50 machine guns.

Bravery was definatly NOT a question

http://www.comandosupremo.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=790&highlight=

8)

and how many Italians was it surrendered to a british force several time smaller than themselfs??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back