7./JG 26 - locations? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
Hi guys and girls.

According to Wikipedia:
In February 1941, 7./JG 26 under Hpt Joachim Müncheberg operated in the Mediterranean theatre against Malta from bases in Sicily.
The unit was to achieve success out of all proportion to its moderate size, claiming 52 victories over the island's defenders without losing a single Bf-109E. Müncheberg claimed almost half of the victories.
In addition to flying missions over Malta, 7. JG 26 also flew over Yugoslavia in support of the German invasion of the Balkans.
On 7 May 1941, Müncheberg was awarded the Eichenlaub to his Ritterkreuz and the Italian Medaglia d'Oro, with 43 victories to his credit.
After a spell in Libya during June-July 1941 to support Rommel's Afrika Korps, 7./JG 26 was transferred back to France.
-----------------
Here's my question:
Where in France did 7./JG 26 end up? What airfield/city?
I'd like as much accuracy as possible, because I'm currently working on a Bf109E-4 that's going to end up with the markings of 7./JG 26, and I'd very much like to turn it into part of a diorama.
And so it's pretty important to me to know what the surrounding landscape's going to end up looking like, as I'd like to place the setting in France.
Also, if anyone's got any pictures from the era/area in France, where 7./JG 26 ended up in 1941, I'd very much appreciate it, as I think it would be fascinating to get the surrounding area (- that is, if it isn't just a plain grass field ;) ) as accurate as possible in the diorama.
So any help will be very much appreciated. *curtsies* ;)

Jg26 was based out of the Abbeville area, if that helps you any :)

That was just one of the areas in which JG 26's gruppen and staffeln was stationed, as far as I know. ;)
And my little problem is that on Les Butler's homepage, J A G D G E S C H W A D E R 26 "SCHLAGETER", there's no mention about where 7. was posted.
Please see http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/jg26/bases.htm

I know that Les Butler's page can't be the only source, so I was hoping that some of you guys might have had a link handy. I've tried to google a bit (- actually, quite a lot!), and I can't seem to find much about 7./JG 26.

Hello Maria,
I have some of the information you required...

From book JAGDWAFFE - War Over the Desert
"Last known mission flown by 7./JG 26 in Africa ocured on 21 August and the Staffel returned to France on the end of the month."

From book JAGDWAFFE - Holding The West 1941-1942
"In late August 7./JG 26 returned from Mediterranean where, during a seven month period of operations over Malta and Libya, the Staffel's pilots claimed 52 aerial victories without loss before rejoining III/JG 26 at Ligescourt to re-equip with the Bf 109F-4. On 29 August, Müncheberg had claimed a Spitfire as his 50th victory..."

As I suspected, upon their return to France 7./JG 26 was re-equipped with Bf 109F-4. So, it appears that if you wish to make diorama for Bf 109E of this unit in 1941 you will have to stick to the Mediterranean theater.
I can look up for some information about airfields where 7th Staffel was based while in Mediterranean if you need that. Just give me some time. The Jagdwaffe books are great source for this kind of information.

Last edited:
Hi imalko, ans thanks for the reply and the information.
It sure looks like I'm going to have to do a mediterranean diorama then. ;)
I'd appreciate any information on where JG 26 was located in the Med, and it sounds like some books that would be worth having. ;)
Thanks again. :)

Hello Biker Babe
the site to check this kind of info is this
Jagdgeschwader 26
scroll down to III Gruppe and then down to the bottom of its location table, there is info on 7./JG 26 airbases.

Juha

That is a great link. Thanks Juha!

So, once more - bases of 7./JG 26 while in Mediterranean theater:

- Gela (Sicily) 7th February 1941 - 5th April 1941
- Grottaglie (Southern Italy for operations against Yugoslavia) 5th April 1941 - 8th April 1941
- Gela (Sicily) 8th April 1941 - 25th May 1941
- Molaoi (Greece) 25th May 1941 - 14th June 1941
- Ain-el-Gazala (North Africa) 14th June 1941 - 24th August 1941

The Staffel returned to Liegescourt in late August 1941, joining the rest of III./JG26, and starting conversion to Bf 109F

As for airfield pictures I managed to find only pictures from Gela airfield in Sicily. Hope it will be helpful.
Source: JAGDWAFFE Volume 3 Section 3: War Over the Desert - North Africa June 1940-June 1942

Attachments

• 7jg26_01.jpg
    7jg26_01.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 7jg26_02.jpg
    7jg26_02.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 7jg26_03.jpg
    7jg26_03.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 7jg26_04.jpg
    7jg26_04.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 7jg26_05.jpg
    7jg26_05.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 7jg26_00.jpg
    7jg26_00.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
Amsel, the link you provided is the same as the one Juha did. But you must have misunderstood something because on this web page same as in Jagdwaffe book is clearly stated that 7./JG 26 returned from Africa in late August. The Staffel's last recorded action in Africa occured on 21 August and they were still flying Bf 109E at that time.

It was III/JG 26 which arrived at Liegescourt on 1 June 1941 for conversion to the Bf 109F and 7./JG 26 joined them in late August returning from Africa.

This wasn't the only time that 7. Staffel was detached from the rest of the Gruppe, for in 1943 7./JG 26 spend five months (February-July 1943) on the Eastern front operating under JG 54.

Last edited:
Amsel, the link you provided is the same as the one Juha did. But you must have misunderstood something because on this web page same as in Jagdwaffe book is clearly stated that 7./JG 26 returned from Africa in late August. The Staffel's last recorded action in Africa occured on 21 August and they were still flying Bf 109E at that time.

It was III/JG 26 which arrived at Liegescourt on 1 June 1941 for conversion to the Bf 109F and 7./JG 26 joined them in late August returning from Africa.

This wasn't the only time that 7. Staffel was detached from the rest of the Gruppe, for in 1943 7./JG 26 spend five months (February-July 1943) on the Eastern front operating under JG 54.

Thanks, edited. I sure did look at it wrong and should have caught it.

Amsel, you beat me too it! :) Get the book by Donald Caldwell - JG 26. Good info there.

I need to check it out then. JG26 is one of the most interesting squadrons. I am currently studying JG1 in detail and will move to ZG26/JG26 next.

According to Caldwell, 7./JG 26 didn't leave until September or at least the remainder of the Staffel. 16 Sept. 4./JG 27 left to relieve 7./JG 26. On 24 Sept. a Ju 52 with groundcrew was attacked returning to Europe and 2 crewmembers killed, the only fatalities of 7./JG 26 after 6 months of operations.

Some pilots did move earlier as Oblt. Muncheberg shot down a Spitfire over northern France on 26 August, 7./JG 26 remained with Fliegerfuhrer Afrika for another month.

Hi guys, I just rediscovered this thread - I'm terribly sorry for not replying on your posts and replies until now. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Thanks for all of the information and the images, which are very useful. *courtsies*
And regarding Don Caldwell's book about JG 26 - that's on my Wish-/To Buy-list, so I'll eventually get that one.
Plus: Thanks for the corrections about the dates and places, that's pretty practical to know. ;)
I've saved the images, the only thing that bothers me is that they aren't in color, but then again, I guess you can't have everything. I guess I'm just lucky that any photos still exist today! ;)
I'll see if I can find some present-day photos from Sicily; y'know, to get the colour of the vegetation and earth right in the diorama that I'm going to make. ;)
Yes, I'm a geek... :lol:
Thanks again, now you've given me something to work with. Man - I like this forum! :oops:

Just a note on the Caldwell book.

It was first printed in hardback in 2 editions. JG 26 was broken down in a day-by-day format which was cool because he also added who scored and who was lost week by week.

When it was issued in paperback, he updated some but....the day-by-day was removed for a more flowing description of events and its a little harder if you're doing research as you have to find what and when. If you can, get all of them.

The first was called "JG 26 War Diary" and the paperback "JG 26: Top Guns of the LUftwaffe".

and for prille....

from http://www.ww2.dk/air/jagd/jg26.htm

"7./JG26 operated under JG54 in Russia, 17.2.43 - 7.43. Left France 17.2.43 and arrived at Krasnowardeisk on 28.2.43. Remained there until it returned to III./JG26 in July 1943. While 7./JG26 was in Russia, 4./JG54 was attached to JG26; 9./JG26 at Beaumont-le-Roger, 27.11.42 - 1.43"

Last edited:
Hi Njaco, and thanks for the information on the three editions of Caldwell's book.
It's pretty important information if you want precise information on the day-to-day happenings and actions of the various pilots and scenarios.
Have you got any ISBN-numbers on any of the editions, it could be very helpful for me in getting the proper editions of the various books. ;)
In advance, thanks.

EDIT: Never mind, a little work on Amazon's website got me what I needed. I apologise for the inconvenience. :oops:

Last edited:
No prob at all. I like the "War Diaries" much better than his revised "Top Guns..." edition. The first book covered from inception to 1942. The second followed to the end of the war.

Thanks again...I was suddenly reminded of another possibility the other day...*snort*
The local library, who can get all sorts of books for me by ordering them from other libraries in the country, and sometimes even outside of Denmark. They've done that for me, I'm impressed!
That's a possibility until I can scrounge up enough money to buy the books myself. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back