75 year old Messerschmitt BF109 E4 flys again !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes it is absolutely gorgeous but I want to see it last even longer in a museum because not many of these come along every day. It is better to have it live many more years than having it die down after many uses. Thank you for that! It made my day.

Great video, but I could throttle the SOB who put the stoopid music over the top of the whole thing. WTF was he thinking!?!?!

Great video, but I could throttle the SOB who put the stoopid music over the top of the whole thing. WTF was he thinking!?!?!

That's one of my usual complaints with a lot of the videos on U-Tube, both race and aviation, some idiot places their favorite music over the engine sounds and take away a lot of the overall impact of the video.

I supose when they restore German aircraft to flying condition, they have to use a substitute engine. How many DB 601s are still used in flyable aircraft. If the engine has to be substituted, its a bit of a hack job on a true piece of history.

Might explain why music is dubbed over the top of so many of these clips

Listening to a Merlin, or Allision in a Bf109 is still prefered to somebody else's choice of music.

In every one of those clips, the Bf109 had a inverted V engine, a pretty sure sign that they've got DB engines.

Last edited:
I don't think there's ever been any other engines in original Bf 109 warbird restorations; they've always had the original DB engines, that is, other than Buchons. There have been Buchons retrofitted with DB engines, though and given Bf 109 noses.

Sweet clips

I don't think there's ever been any other engines in original Bf 109 warbird restorations; they've always had the original DB engines, that is, other than Buchons. There have been Buchons retrofitted with DB engines, though and given Bf 109 noses.

Sweet clips

Well, I have toi say im very glad to hear that. How do thyey get spare parts, like engine rings, pistons, valves, injectors and the like. I suppose by rebuilds, but there must be some backyard workshops somewhere making some of the parts, surely.

found a good story on this bird..with history and everything. evidently this plane doesnt like to fly on the 2nd day of the month....lol engine overhauled every 100 hours at a cost of $300.000+ ( aint cheap to own a warbird )...

http://www.airshowsreview.com/TheMagazine-Aug-Sept2010.pdf

as for the parts....if you have the money...someone will make it for you. i would suppose the stocks of original stuff has long since been used or scrapped....but ya never know.

Last edited:
How do they get spare parts, like engine rings, pistons, valves, injectors and the like?

They make new ones. You can pretty much reverse engineer any component with the right amount of money and technology these days. Bf 109G Black 6 in the mid 1990s, what a lovely machine:

Black 6 i.jpg

Black 6 ii.jpg

Black 6 iii.jpg

Black 6 iiii.jpg

Black 6 iiiii.jpg

as for the parts....if you have the money...someone will make it for you. i would suppose the stocks of original stuff has long since been used or scrapped....but ya never know.

Snap - you beat me to it Bobbysocks.

Last edited:
Well, I have toi say im very glad to hear that. How do thyey get spare parts, like engine rings, pistons, valves, injectors and the like. I suppose by rebuilds, but there must be some backyard workshops somewhere making some of the parts, surely.

The Messerschmitt company is now owned by EADS which also has the Messerschmitt foundation in Manching. In Manching near Munich they restore original Messerschmitt aircraft. There are actually pleny of DB 601 and DB 605s that survive today, and as far as I know they also make spare parts for them at EADS. I could be wrong however, but I am pretty sure they do.

Every 109 that I have seen in flight, has an original DB engine in it. In Manching they have 3 of them. One of them is Ha-1112 that has been rebuilt with a DB 605.

DSC07470.jpg

DSC07469-1.jpg

Last edited:
I just love the pictures guys. Especially the one with two old adversaries side by side. A staged picture, I am sure, but one still worth taking.

Especially the one with two old adversaries side by side. A staged picture, I am sure, but one still worth taking.

Absolutely, I have an identical one of the same '109 next to a Spit PR.XI. It's odd in that the Bf 109 looks small even next to a Spitfire. A menacing looking little beastie...

Those photos of Black 6 look like Duxford. It's not unusual to see former adversaries side by side along the flight line there on an airshow day.

Cheers

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back