A colour question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BikerBabe

Senior Master Sergeant
May 21, 2009
Denmark.
www.bmwmc.dk
Hi guys.

I'm sitting here, sorting through my paints in order to get ready to start working on the rest of my 109-kit tomorrow - weather forecast says rain, wind, cold, boring, and of course I have the day off with weather like that. :p
Anyway, tomorrow's 109-painting time! :lol:

I've been looking though the colour conversion charts that I've gotten from you guys in here, and I can't find the Humbrol equivalent for the Tamiya colour codes AS-3, AS-4 and AS-5.
Do any of you guys know what the closest thing to these colours, the Humbrol colour numbers'll be?
Any help'll be appreciated.

Hi bobbysocks, and thanks for your help. ;)
Unfortunately I already have the PDF file mentioned on the page that you link to, and there's no AS-numbers in the Tamiya parts of the chart.
The second link - the Humbrol page - says: We were unable to find any paints that matched your criteria - whenever I try any of those three Tamiya colours; and the third link hasn't got any of the AS-numbers either. :(

Hi Mike, and thanks for the links, that helped! ;) :thumbleft:

I can see that the colour codes I'm searching for is basically these:
FED-STD-595 Federal Standard 595 Colors FS 34052, 34159, 35352
The light blue colour - AS-5 - is approx. Humbrol #65, dunno about the other two, though...I'll figure it out eventually, thanks again! ;)

Cheers,

Maria.

EDIT: Dayum, I *know* I bought those colours, the guy in the shop helped me find the Humbrol equivalent, now where the he££ did I put them??? *rummages about*

Maria
for RLM65 i use Humbrol No 65 as you've just posted
for RLM71 i use Humbrol No116
for RLM02 you could use Humbrol No 71
but for RLM02 i'm useing Vallejo model colour paint No 886

Last edited:
To be honest the RLM65 (FS35414) should be a mix of Humbrol 65 or 55 and 30% of Humbrol 23.
RLM70 ( FS34050) can be Humbrol 91
RLM71 (FS34079) can be Humbrol 86 or 116.

RLM02 (36165) - Humbrol 84. However it should be a mix of Humbrol 168+75+92+10 with proportion 4: 1: 1: 1

Last edited:
Hi again guys, and thanks for your answers. Love y'all! *thumbleft: :thumbright:
Anyway, after pondering my model building stuff, I'll wait with the paint mixing, and start with ready-from-the-tin, non-mixed paints, since the Tamiya 109 is the first kit I've been building for years.
I'll settle on "something that looks a wee bit like the right colour" - for now.

Right now I'll stick with making things look nice and being able to stick together; I'll save the colour facts that you've supplied me with, for when I'll be doing a better, more detailed model than the first one I'm working on now, I might even use the colour mixes you're suggesting, for my Dolfo-109, just to get used to it. ;)

I do appreciate your help, and as I said, I'll save the "recipes"/mixes for later use.
I've got plans with my two JG 26 109's, more about that *much* later. ;)

I just saw this the other day, and now I can't find where I saw it, anyway, Tamiya AS3, 4, and 5, are RLM 74/75/76. From the information others have posted, sounds like Tamiya got the colors all wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back