A couple of good ones... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Thought I'd chip in with a few off my bookshelf. I've got books on just about everything, but here I'll just confine myself to aviation 8)

Firstly, The Reich Intruders by Martin Bowman:

Amazon.com: The Reich Intruders: Dramatic Raf Medium Bomber Raids over Europe in World War 2…

This book chronicles the operations of the medium bombers of 2 Group and 2nd TAF throughout the war: Blenheims, Bostons, Venturas, Mitchells and Mosquitos. There are plenty of eyewitness accounts from aircrew and in my edition (the one I have linked to), and illsutration on almost every page, including many shots taken in action. Highlights include the Amiens prison raid and the raid of the Phillips Valve factories (Operation Oyster), although a huge variety of actions are covered. Very well written, and a fascinating insight into the lives of the crews on these missions.

Next up, Clash of the Carriers by Barrett Tillman:

Amazon.com: Clash of The Carriers: The True Story of the Marianas Turkey Shoot of World War II (9780451219565): Barrett…

Mr. Tillman probably needs no introduction to most of you, and this is a brilliant account of the Marianas Turkey Shoot. My only criticism is it is a little one-sided, containing almost nothing about the battle from the Japanese side, and perhaps sees the American victory as being inevitable. Still, a very good and highly recommended account of the battle.

And lastly, Midway: The Incredible Victory by Walter Lord:

Amazon.com: Midway: The Incredible Victory (Wordsworth Military Library) (9781840222364): Walter Lord: Books

I cannot believe Amazon want $167 for a new copy: I bought mine for £3 second-hand, and luckily Amazon second-hand prices start at $2.59. If you only ever read one book on Midway, or the US Navy, or even WWII in general, make it this one. The story is brilliantly told, and told through the eyes of the men that fought at Midway. Both sides receive equal coverage, and the accounts of conditions aboard the sinking Japanese carriers are harrowing. A must-have, especially at a decent second-hand price.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ah well! I was supposed to get something - permission to use the painting was sought on behalf of Martin Bowman by my mate Derek (Norfolk man living in Copenhagen) who'd organised the 50th anniversary memorial of the Shell House raid, which is why, and how, the painting was produced in the first place. Derek is a friend / associate of MB, and I left it with him. However, I then went through a Divorce around the about the time the book was being published, moved house etc., and I guess it just got forgotten in the physical and emotional upheaval.
As, far as I know, there isn't even a credit either, unless it's on the dust cover somewhere (my copy was downloaded - didn't get my signed copy either!). I suppose I could chase it up, but it seems a bit churlish, especially after 14 years.

Just bought a few for my collection here at a book store in Anchorage.

Hitler's Pope - The Secret History of Pius XII by John Cornwell

Panzer Leader by General Heinz Guderian

Rommel - As a Military Commander by Ronald Lewin

I have not read these yet, so it will be interesting. Especially the one about Pius XII.

Panzer Leader is very good. It's been a few years since I read it, but it is a good account of the German experience through the eyes of a German leader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back