A curious weapon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pampa14

Airman 1st Class
May 14, 2013
An interesting report with some curious photographs showing a Spitfire of the RAF carrying beer kegs under the wings. I've never seen this. Can anyone tell what the purpose of it ? To see these curious and unbelievable photos, visit the link below:

Aviação em Floripa: Um armamento curioso

Best Regards!

Not looked at the link, but beer was flown from England to the squadrons (and troops) behind the beach head in Normandy soon after the D-Day invasion, carried by Spitfires, using either normal beer kegs or drop tanks. Italeri issued a 1/48th scale kit including the beer kegs a year or two back.

Bomber crews made ice cream

On March 13, 1943, the New York Times reported that American fliers stationed in Britain had discovered an ingenious way of making ice cream while on duty. A story titled "Flying Fortresses Double as Ice-Cream Freezers" disclosed that the airmen "place prepared ice-cream mixture in a large can and anchor it to the rear gunner's compartment of a Flying Fortress. It is well shaken up and nicely frozen by flying over enemy territory at high altitudes."
Making ice cream on a combat flying mission

I think it was the 4th FG (or possibly the 56th FG) who also did this, by filling drop tanks with the mixture and doing a quick climb to altitude and then a rapid descent back to base. No doubt word got around, and probably other units did the same thing.

The Story Of The Ultimate High Flying Beer Run

8a82d0635de6ee0880aa1a1eb710e57e.jpg

From Time Magazine, 2 July 1944:
A great thirst attacked British troops rushing emergency landing strips to completion in the dust of Normandy. Thinking of luckier comrades guzzling in country estaminets and town bistros, the runway builders began to grouse. They wanted beer. They got it. Rocket-firing Typhoons, before going on to shoot up Nazis, landed on the runways with auxiliary fuel tanks full of beer. Swarms of the thirsty gathered round with enamel mugs. The first tank-fulls tasted bad because of the tank linings; this flavor was overcome by chemical means and later loads were delicious. Just like the corner pub at home.

Also, shortly after D-Day, P-47s were ferrying ice cream across the channel in drop tanks, too.

There's plenty of stories about the USAAF and USMC that chilled beer by various means (fighters, bombers) in the PTO, and I'm sure commonwealth AFs did the same.

The purpose was to cool the beer.

That's a purpose close to my heart, and I would have participated had I been there. The main trick was to have people ready to drink it when the plane landed ... and not draw the attention of the "old man" at the same time.

tell me you think that would have been a problem?? you know fighter pilots...killing beer was never a problem they had to work around...and the old man was the one who probably got the first draft poured!

In the case of the RAF Spitfires (and others) carrying the beer, the purpose was to get it from Hampshire, England, to Normandy, France, whether cool, warm or insipid.
British beer (especially real ales) was never cooled, until about the mid 1970s, and Britain had a somewhat dubious, World-wide reputation for warm beer !

Ha ha ha! Good one!

Chris
Not really...

Since they're from Brazil, it's entirely possible to be a little removed from the quirks of the war that the commonwealth and he U.S. would have been familiar with.

I've even had several conversations with people here in the states that had never heard of "high altitude cooling", or that U.S. carriers had ice cream machines (and at least one submarine - with one stolen from a carrier) during WWII.

And I was called a liar and a dumbass for mentioning that a Skyraider dropped a toilet in combat as part of a warload. That almost cost them a night in ER, too...

Not really...

Since they're from Brazil, it's entirely possible to be a little removed from the quirks of the war that the commonwealth and he U.S. would have been familiar with.

I've even had several conversations with people here in the states that had never heard of "high altitude cooling", or that U.S. carriers had ice cream machines (and at least one submarine - with one stolen from a carrier) during WWII.

And I was called a liar and a dumbass for mentioning that a Skyraider dropped a toilet in combat as part of a warload. That almost cost them a night in ER, too...

I guess so. It's just that I've known this for so long, having first read about Spitfires toting beer kegs across The Channel way back in the Seventies or early Eighties. But then pampa14 is only trawling for blog hits and never joins the discussions he starts.

Chris

Last edited:
I guess so. It's just that I've know this for so long, having first read about Spitfires toting beer kegs across The Channel way back in the Seventies or early Eighties. But then pampa14 is only trawling for blog hits and never joins the discussions he starts.

Chris
So aparently, you missed the part where I got into an argument with a fellow American over the fact that a toilet was dropped from a hard-point in combat. Not everyone is a walking encyclopedia of lesser-known facts of war.

And here's some interesting "did-you-knows":
Did you know that pampa has never caused any trouble here on the forum?
Did you know that several members of the forum have links to their own pages in their sigs?
Did you know that following a member and harassing them in their posts/threads is called Trolling?

And I should point out that his posts always lead to great and informative discussions, often times leading to learning new things...

Last edited:
So aparently, you missed the part where I got into an argument with a fellow American over the fact that a toilet was dropped from a hard-point in combat. Not everyone is a walking encyclopedia of lesser-known facts of war.

And here's some interesting "did-you-knows":
Did you know that pampa has never caused any trouble here on the forum?
Did you know that several members of the forum have links to their own pages in their sigs?
Did you know that following a member and harassing them in their posts/threads is called Trolling?

And I should point out that his posts always lead to great and informative discussions, often times leading to learning new things...

Here is your toilet :) I just remember reading about a pilot that liked his chocolate bars frozen so every time he had to test flight his fighter after maintenance he would have his crew chief put the chocolate bars in the ammo bays of the fighter to chill at high altitude to eat when he came down.

Attachments

• A-1H_VA-25_CVA-41bomb.jpg
    A-1H_VA-25_CVA-41bomb.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 142
I forget what squadron but one of the B-25 squadrons in the Pacific where running low on bombs so they used what ever they could to drop from hand grenades to bottles. They even went so far as to drop the cooks kitchen sink on the Japs.

The kitchen sink dropped by the 500th Bomb squadron from the book WarPath across the Pacific by Lawrence J Hickey

Attachments

• Scan_January-4-2016-2-06-20-247-PM.jpg
    Scan_January-4-2016-2-06-20-247-PM.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 150
anything falling from several thousand feet is going to severely hurt, kill, or make a mess. I wondered what it was like to be on the ground after all the brass from fighters came tumbling down.....

Captain Obvious says, "It's like being hit by falling bullet casings."

No harm intended, just couldn't resist ...

Seriously, I doubt much damage from rifle caliber casings. But a 37 mm case might be a different story of falling from a 350 mph fighter at 1,000+ feet. I bet even a 20 mm case falling at terminal velocity would hurt.

I know of one actual incident where a jet fighter flying at 18,500 feet was struck by falling ice and the canopy shattered. They landed without incident, but the ice had to come from a passing airliner above, since it was a single piece and not an "ice shower" as is big hail. The other aircraft in formation encountered no ice and that was the only hit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back