A day with the Subritzky's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Don Subritzky is a collector of aircraft who has been active for years in New Zealand. He's acquired quite a hoard of bits and pieces and the weekend of the Mosquito event a group of enthusiasts went to visit his place north of Auckland. We were in for a surprise; he has the kinds of sheds that all aviation fans want (the 'bloke's shed' is a bit of an icon in New Zealand - your testosterone fuelled indulgences are reflected in what's kept in your 'bloke's shed' :D).

The visit began with some guest speakers, including this guy (whose name I forget - even though I talked with him later on) who had flown Beauforts, Beaufighters and Mosquitos during the war. This picture also gives an indication of the size of the rarest beast the Subritzky's have in their possession - the world's last surviving Vickers Vincent.

Subritsky004sm_zps63663b07.jpg

Subritsky007sm_zpse32ffa0c.jpg

In his sheds, Don has no less than three Hawker Hinds in various states of undress

Subritsky018sm_zps538f09c4.jpg

Subritsky011sm_zps11e4ea53.jpg

Subritsky014sm_zpsc0d9db48.jpg

Subritsky069sm_zps3a2e0fad.jpg

Subritsky068sm_zps1cdc8fd8.jpg

Prop data plate

Subritsky023sm_zpsd96f061a.jpg

Traditional Hawker wing spar

Subritsky021sm_zpsf5374613.jpg

The second Hind

Subritsky020sm_zps53aca462.jpg

Anson, Vampire and assorted bits and pieces, including a Westland Scout and a Packard V-1650 Merlin in this shed

Subritsky027sm_zps7ebb5e1f.jpg

Westland Wapiti propeller

Subritsky037sm_zps04eda31c.jpg

More to come...

The third shed at the Subritzky's had the most important items in the collection that day; the buffet table and barbeque, but this gives an idea of what else is in there.

Subritsky080sm_zps7bfd2b5f.jpg

The discovery of the Airspeed Oxford came from one of those apocryphal stories about an old aeroplane lying about for years undisturbed in a shed.

Subritsky059sm_zps50c76270.jpg

Subritsky049sm_zps5191a1a5.jpg

Subritsky034sm_zps859940d2.jpg

Subritsky065sm_zpseca1162c.jpg

There is also an ex-RNZN Westland Wasp helicopter squeezed in behind the Oxbox. The Meteor NF.11. he used to have a complete Spitfire LF.XVIe, but sold it to a Chinese trust - it's now in a museum in Beijing.

Subritsky045sm_zps48b9ce52.jpg

Fairey Battle cockpit section

Subritsky047sm_zpsc8b08110.jpg

Yet another Hind

Subritsky057sm_zps0f84030f.jpg

Subritsky052sm_zpscc7f5aac.jpg

Subritsky051sm_zpsb26cde11.jpg

Next, the Vincent...

Last edited:
Gosh! It's a big bugger...

Subritsky071sm_zps2d845cd2.jpg

Subritsky076sm_zps5f07ece9.jpg

Subritsky075sm_zps75ee30b0.jpg

Subritsky077sm_zps9b78302b.jpg

Subritsky078sm_zps7181cfc9.jpg

Inside the fuselage looking forward towards the bomb aimer's position.

Subritsky085sm_zps4b2fd86a.jpg

Subritsky064sm_zps8a1972e9.jpg

Subritsky081sm_zps54bb3a35.jpg

Subritsky079sm_zps584f27ef.jpg

To think that the Vincent was the most modern bomber that the RNZAF was equipped with at the outbreak of WW2 until the arrival of Lockheed Hudsons in 1941!

Our visit was a real eye-opener, not just because of the aircraft in the collection, but also because I got to meet some real characters, including a bloke restoring a Bristol Beaufort to flying condition in Australia. I hope you enjoyed my photos.

Last edited:
FANTASTIC pics Grant -thanks!!!

Never knew he had an Oxford either!... And PLEASE tell me that Battle cockpit section is the RNZAFs instructional airframe...!!!!

(Or is it the other way round?!0
Yep, Vildebeest was the torpedo bomber, the Vincent was the day bomber, although the RNZAF never used their Vildes for torpedo work, both were used for general reconnaissance. As for the Fairey Battle, not sure if it was the instructional airframe or not, although it's likely.

What a place - great pics Grant!
I would never have thought that a Vincent was still around, some rare beastie that one. And a Beaufort being restored to flying condition - I'm living at the wrong end of the World !!

The cockpit photo is that of the only surviving Vickers Vincent or one of the Hawker Hind ? I need to know because I want to post the image of the Vickers Vincent cockpit to a IL2 Sturmovik: 1946 ( PC game) modders forum. They have built a Vickers Vildebeest simulated aircraft but has the cockpit of a Typhoon. !!!!!

Need to caution them immediately.

The modders forum SAS Index

Also is there any way to contact Mr. Don Subritzky ? I need a better cockpt photo of either one of the Hawker Hind or the Vicker's Vincent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back