A fast and unusual German

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I saw Mike on the last page ask how you would like to sit next to a driveshagy carrying 2,000 HP, but it didn't seem to hurt a lot a P-39 pilots who had a driveshaft running between their legs carrying 1,325 - 1,600 hp. The driveshaft proved to be very reliable and damage resistant.

Had the He 119 gone forward with a regular radiator, I don't think the driveshaft would have been an issue. The visibility might have been an issue, though. The pilot was almost but not quite flying "blind" but to a very restricted view.

I'm just not sure what missions might have been assigned to it that would justify the aircraft to start with ... once the "record breaker" mission was done, what could have been done with it assuming a normal radiator? It certainly wasn't much of a transport and had no bomb bay. It wasn't ever going to be a fighter without major redesign. Maybe reconaissance?

There was a proposal for a Zerstörer based on the He 119.

I haven't seen the Zerstorer He 119 proposal, but I'm SURE it was interesting. I would wnder how much slower it might have been ... but that's high dependent on the "modifications" to make it work.

From Wiki:

The four remaining prototypes were completed during the spring and early summer of 1938, the V5 and V6 being A-series production prototypes for the reconnaissance model, and the V7 and V8 being B-series production prototypes for the bomber model.

So it was also intended as a light bomber.

Since that's from Wiki, the real intent could have been science fiction inspiration, but adding a bomb bay to an existing plane is not easy since the stresses all need to be recalculated and structure added that can carry a certain weight over the flight envelope and strength.

Belive me, adding a small bomb bay, among other mods, to the Boeing 737 to make the P-8 was NOT an easy thing to do ... I'm sure having computers helped a lot.

It might have been proven useful early on for recon duties but by 1943 it would have most likely been way outclassed by fighter technology and easily shot down.

Just an FYI,
The Japanese were so impressed with the design they purchased two, He 119 V7 and V8. Yokasuka produced the R2Y Keiun which flew in 8 May 1945. Its performance projections: 480 mph., 2,250+mls., 3,600+fpm. and a ceiling over 38,000 ft. with an Aichi Ha-70 (2 x 1,700 Aichi Asuta) engine.
Jeff

I haven't seen the Zerstorer He 119 proposal, but I'm SURE it was interesting. I would wnder how much slower it might have been ... but that's high dependent on the "modifications" to make it work.

Slower?! Why must you always be so negative?:lol: From Dieter Herwig and Heinz Rode's: "Luftwaffe Secret Projects: Ground Attack and Special Purpose Aircraft":
3Kz9jZ9.jpg

FtoWaqh.jpg

lXCvpxz.jpg

I can retake the photos if you'd like.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great post, Juan. Slower? Yes, I think so.

But very interesting. That's the first time I ever saw a diagram putting a pilot silhouette on the plans and it certainly does put his head right next to the gearbox, doesn't it?

Also interesting they went with twin vertical tails, too, soce a single fin in the middle is at least in the engine airflow. Might have been a decent airplane ... I can't speculate either way, but I surely would like to have seen one fly.

VERY interesting it shows tricycle gear or at least a thought of it.

Of all the components that can fail in a piston engine propeller propulsion system the drive shaft would be the least of my concerns. I've worked inches from an 8000hp drive shaft from an electric motor, didn't worry me. I presume they put a protective shroud over it so that the pilot can't snag his shirt sleave.

The use of periscopes for aiming guns is interesting. If implemented properly it can work. That means the ability to flick between wide view and narrow view and automatic transfer from the dorsal to the ventral periscope. In addition the observer does need windows for orientation. The periscope will provide vision and aiming over critical areas such as directly behind the aircraft (tail).

I'd say it might have been a very effective fast bomber. The greater space around the engine installation is probably what made the installation reliable.

Of all the components that can fail in a piston engine propeller propulsion system the drive shaft would be the least of my concerns. I've worked inches from an 8000hp drive shaft from an electric motor, didn't worry me. I presume they put a protective shroud over it so that the pilot can't snag his shirt sleave

Yes, but probably the safety factors were quite different. In an aeroplane safety factor can't be too generous for weight reasons, but a flimsy shaft has a tendency to vibrate, and the vibrations ......

Last edited:
That's a wild design. No canopy bulge to slow the plane down, but then again I think visibility might have suffered...

I'm not sure if you saw, but in the text it says that the possibility to accommodate raised teardrop hoods for the Pilot, and Forward Air Gunner (who controlled the Drillinng).

The glazed nose He 111 apparently had a flat pane of glass the pilot could extend for landings, particularly usefull and night. I think his chair jacked up as well.

This may be a photograph here:

f6b76271f8b10ad310d16773c2eb9868.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back