A few more future releases. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is this the first P-47C kit, ever?

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 20-24-15 1_48 Dora Wings Republic P-47C Thunderbolt w_Ferry Tank Plas...png

They built 171 P-47B and did send some to the ETO. I am rather surprised to see they built 602 P-47C, deliveries starting in Sep 1942.. The C was about 9 inches longer than the B and weighed about 550 lb more.

They built 171 P-47B and did send some to the ETO. I am rather surprised to see they built 602 P-47C, deliveries starting in Sep 1942.. The C was about 9 inches longer than the B and weighed about 550 lb more.
Don't recall any B models leaving the states, but I could be wrong. They were by and large declared not ready for combat. The C and the D should be the same length with the C having less cowl flaps, well most, the last batch was fairly indistinguishable from the D. C models made it to combat but I don't recall the B.

I recall Gabreski or someone saying that there were some B's in England. The 56th Ftr Gp began to re-equip with P-47's in June-July 1942, so they would have to have been B models. But the 56th did not get to England until Jan 1943, so they could have had B's or C's, the D's not being produced yet when they arrived. The big Warren Bodie book on the P-47 would have more on this and I'll take a look at it.

Yeah I have that. They used B's stateside to work up in, got C's in England. The B was not war ready, self sealing fuel tanks etc… the C was the first war ready of the series. P-38 had the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back