A few more future releases.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Double wow! I don't really need a 1/24th scale Typhoon, but that kit is calling me ....

Look, I'm sitting down, nowhere near the cheque book, credit card or Airfix pre-order 'Hot Line' ............. honest !!!
(S*it ! Has my nose grown ??!!).

I'm thinking the same! But, I've just seen, today, the RAF Museum' Typhoon, in a similar state to the pics of the Airfix kit, at Cosford, as she's being prepared for further restoration work, and now I really want one!
Unfortunately, we were delayed getting to the Restoration Center at Cosford, and only had a few minutes before it closed (not normally open to the public, but is, for this week only, 10.15 to 13.00 hrs), so I wasn't able to ask the restoration guys about what's scheduled for the Typhoon. It would be nice if the cowlings, radiator, trunking and spinner were properly re-built. When it was returned from it's very long spell in the USA, the above items, plus ailerons and other components, were missing, and those on display to date have been mock-ups, utilising plain alloy sheet, cardboard, a truck radiator front, and a spinner devised from two sections of a larger item from another aircraft type - Hastings, Pembroke or Bristol freighter, can't remember without checking the details of the original restoration, at St.Athan, in the 1960's.

I have the full story of the original restoration somewhere. The RAF guys at St.Athan did a fantastic job, given the materials, technology and methods of the day. But, being the only complete Typhoon in existence, doubtless the restoration has lead to more than one 'error' in the production of kits and accessories. The spinner is the main thing, and those without some knowledge of the original would never realise the shape is wrong, although as close as could be achieved at the time, being too 'pointy' and the wrong length.
Other small details have lead to incorrect information being published. For example, as this aircraft was used for evaluation trials by America, before being put into long-term storage from WW2 until the early 1960's, the Blind Flying panel is outlined with yellow tape, a practice started by the USAAF in the ETO on the P-51, to help pilots to concentrate on the vital 'basic six' instruments in the often appalling flying conditions encountered over Europe, which were uncommon to US pilots, fresh from flying schools situated in areas of better met conditions. This has lead to this feature being assumed to be standard, and included in books, articles and guides on modelling the Typhoon. But, like the 'Pilot's Notes' found in the map case of this aircraft, these were a US feature, and never used on Typhoons in service!
This sort of unintentional error is not uncommon, with another example being the canopy on the Airfix 1/48th scale Bf109E, which was modelled on the RAF Museum example. Unfortunately, the canopy for this particular 'Emil' went missing over the years, and during its restoration, it was fitted with a canopy from a 'Buchon', the same as that on the '109G. This same error also occurred on the 1970's '109E from Matchbox !
Other examples that are common are oleos at full extension, as the subject for the model was on jacks, or suspended, with the consequent extension of the oleos, and, on one notable case, the inclusion of some rather dubious panel lines, which turned out to be battle damage patches on the original subject!!
Although the kit designers may make every effort towards accuracy, it seems that some important questions are never asked, which would avoid these errors, and, more importantly, the on-going reproduction of these errors.

EDIT: For St.Athan, read Shawbury! Got my MUs confused !

Last edited:
Another small selection of Future Releases, and it looks like the HK Models 1/32nd scale Avro Lancaster isn't too far away, being listed as a future release on the Hannant's web site, and with 'Kit's World' decals for the kit also listed. No price yet, but it will, of course, be in excess of £100 by a fair margin.
Also shown at Hannant's are the following - date and price unknown unless shown:-

Kitty Hawk

1/32nd scale N.A. T-6 'Texan'.
1/48th scale F-101A 'Voodoo'.
1/48th scale Bell UH-Y
1/48th scale F-2H-3/4 'Banshee'.

Revell

1/32nd scale Messerschmitt Bf109G-10 Erla

Trumpeter

1/48th scale MiG-23ML £34.99
1/48th scale Douglas KA-3B 'Skywarrior' £59.99

Hobby Boss

1/48th scale FW-190D-11 £14.99

Italeri

1/32nd scale F-104G 'Starfighter' £80.99

HK Models

1/32nd scale Gloster Meteor F. Mk4
1/32nd scale Avero Lancaster B.Mk. III

proposed box art for the 1/32 Revell G-10

Attachments

• Revell_Bf109G-10_Erla.jpg
    Revell_Bf109G-10_Erla.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 85
2014 Airfix catalogue online today, new tools include 1.72 scale Coastal Command Lancaster, Blenheim Mk1 and 4, Dornier 17z, Hurricane Mk1 and re-releases of some other old favourites including the Halifax.
I am just a little disappointed as I was hoping for a new tool Beaufighter and especially a Whitley, it really is time for a quality Whitley kit to be released. Great to see the new tool Blenheims though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back