A Few Pics (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GregP

Major
Jul 28, 2003
Chino, California, U.S.A.
Here is actor Harrison Ford's de Havilland Beaver. That's me on the right:

100_3091.jpg

Here's me looking out the nose of our B-25 going from Chino to Palm Springs:

100_3140.jpg

Here's a cutaway WWII submarine at the Palm Springs Air Museum:

100_3180.jpg

Here's the cockpit of their Grumman Bearcat from a good angle:

100_3188.jpg

Lot's more but I expect this is getting long for one post. Chino airport below:

Attachments

• 100_3288.jpg
    100_3288.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
At the time this postcard was taken, all these planes were flyable.

POF Postcard - Hi Res.jpg

Here's Captain Eddy's Fairey Firefly taking off ... or maybe landing, I forget:

FireflyTakingOff.jpg

Here's me with our new cowling about to go onto the pulsejet:

100_4229.JPG

And this is how it fit:

100_4231.JPG

Here is the metal spinning form we made along with the completed cowling:

100_4240.JPG

Last edited:
I threw in the sub since it is in a Navy display there, is about 15 feet long or longer, VERY detailed, and seemed like a good change of subject for a pic. If nobody likes it, the rest will be ONLY aircraft.

That's what MOST of my pics are of anyway, though I do have a lot of engine pics when I was working in an Allison shop for a year and a half.

Here is a shot in one of the hangers at Joe Yancey's shop. This shelf has some Allisons ready for overhaul, though ONE in there is already overhauled and ready to ship ... when they pay for it. Bottom right. The one on the left part of the middle shelf on the right of that shelf is a PT boat engine with a BIG flywheel. The engine just to the left of that one is an "E" series engine that connects to a driveshaft (think P-39 / P-63) instead of having a propeller shaft.

Allisons_Ready_for_Overhaul3.JPG

Here is a shot of some valves ready for use along with some rocker arms on the bottom shelves.

Valves1.JPG

Here are some Allison camshafts ready for overhaul"

Camshafts.JPG

Here are a few crankshafts also ready for overhaul"

Crtankshafts.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a clip of our Air Museum in the 1960's. You can see the Boeing F4-B3 as it arrived and see the Nakajima Ki-84 and other planes we still have and fly. Enjoy! The Ki-84 is currently in Japan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8waXqQoBri4

Very probably one of the last few times a Ki-84 ever flew. In the 1960's only 15 -20 years after WWII, the Ki-84 was not wanted on the airshow circuit AT ALL, so it got sold. Wish we had it today ...

Last edited:
Wow! Love Joe Yancey's workshop store! That B-25 nose shot looks interesting, especially the bugs on the windshield...

"High over the target area, intense flak bursts around the bombers as they make their approach..."

B-25Flak1_zpsc48d009c.jpg

I wasn't in the cockpit but from being a pilot, I'd estimate we were at 4,000 feet or so. NOT where you'd want to be with flak batteries around!

Palm Springs is down the pass to the right of the slope ... March Field (March AFB) is to our right out of sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back