A Few Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Somebody can draw anything, getting it to work is a whole new world :)

speaking of new worlds, apparently, late in the war, the USAAF had this in the works, developed using a discarded drop tank and a thousand Roman Candles strapped to the tail for propulsion. Didn't have much payload so children were recruited as pilots and unlike the Luftwaffe jet pictured above, this prototype was actually built.

Attachments

• spaceshipcrop.jpg
    spaceshipcrop.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
speaking of new worlds, apparently, late in the war, the USAAF had this in the works, developed using a discarded drop tank and a thousand Roman Candles strapped to the tail for propulsion. Didn't have much payload so children were recruited as pilots and unlike the Luftwaffe jet pictured above, this prototype was actually built.

Is that the rocket from "Abbott and Costello Go To Mars"?

Hi Dave,

Next time you come out to the museum, let's take pics and post!

Maybe we can get a pic of you in the cockpit of the Corsair, B-25 ... or something.

Hi Dave,

Maybe we can get a pic of you in the cockpit of the Corsair, B-25 ... or something.

Dave,
You mean you went all the way there and Greg didn't put you in the cockpit of an F4U or something? You SHOULD feel slighted. Dave, Did you offer Greg a beer?

Funny, the old sci-fi movies always seemed to assume a spaceship would look like a fuel tank or a saucer ... up until 2001 A Space Oddesy. At least they had HAL to keep them amused. "Dave, will you stop?"

I also liked Robbie the Robot ... those rubber arms seemed way too strong. I much preferred Gort from "The Day the Earth Stood Still." Now that was a good robot, or a good rubber suit painted silver.

When we went to the March AFB Museum a few years ago, we took the canopy off their Bell P-59A to inspect it since we were building one for our Bell YP-59A. When we had it off, I took a few cockpit pics. This is one shot:

100_4288.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

That would be cool. Maybe sit in the cockpit of that P-59!

oldcrowcv63 said:
Dave,
You mean you went all the way there and Greg didn't put you in the cockpit of an F4U or something? You SHOULD feel slighted. Dave, Did you offer Greg a beer?

Are you kidding? All I heard was "you don't belong on that side of the line!", "stop playing with the tools", "DON'T try to lower the gear!", KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE SWITCHES!!", "get off that wing!", "please don't leave your sandwich wrappings inside the aircraft". Scheeesch, I couldn't have any fun. :lol:

Actually, I had a great time. I am a junkyard junkie. Just leave me at a good junkyard and pick me up later. Well, let me tell you what fun it was walking among partial F-104s, fuselage of a B-29, F-84s, Migs, awaiting rebuild, old engines setting in a row, etc., etc., etc. That's in addition to seeing all the flyable historic aircraft in the hanger and those in the process of being rebuilt as was the P-59 Greg has been working on. And I had a great lunch! If anybody ever makes it to the L.A. area on a Saturday, make a stop in. It will be something you will always remember.

Gort's ability to melt weapons without harming the soldier holding it was awe-inspiring. But I can't help but wonder where the crew went when he melted those M24 Chaffee tanks. I would have thought they'd have fallen on their butts, but I guess they were melted too which seems kind of harsh and worth starting an interplanetary war.

Speaking of Robby:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoc69OgfMXY

Last edited:
At the time this postcard was taken, all these planes were flyable.

View attachment 240627

Here's Captain Eddy's Fairey Firefly taking off ... or maybe landing, I forget:

View attachment 240628

Here's me with our new cowling about to go onto the pulsejet:

View attachment 240631

And this is how it fit:

View attachment 240633

Here is the metal spinning form we made along with the completed cowling:

View attachment 240634
Postcard: http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/at...7d1376529862-few-pics-pof-postcard-hi-res.jpg
Nice collection of aircraft and I can only pick out two? in the postcard that aren't flying anymore.
It's also interesting to see the different paint schemes on the aircraft than the ones we see on them now.
I actually prefer the white paint scheme on the F-86 instead of the all metal look she is flying with now.

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back