A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Latest Luftwaffe in Focus....
LiF 25_3585.jpg

Good stuff chaps.
The Lancaster book is good overall, but there are a number of inaccurate, or misinformed, captions to some of the detail photographs, where particular items are incorrectly named, or, in some cases, their function is just guessed at !

Good stuff chaps.
The Lancaster book is good overall, but there are a number of inaccurate, or misinformed, captions to some of the detail photographs, where particular items are incorrectly named, or, in some cases, their function is just guessed at !

thanks for the feed back Terry, Do you have a better recommendation on one for the Lancaster.

Thanks in advance Paul

Oh I love that store Donivanp. Seen the same book at ours here for the same price but already had it. Glad to here the misses was on board with it as well :)

Depends what info you want Paul.
The SAM book is good overall, as I mentioned, but the poor photo captions show a lack of detailed knowledge, which of course casts doubt on the overall text. However, this is a relatively minor issue, and the book is still very much worth having.
If you want a detailed 'walk through' on the Lanc, then the Haynes 'Workshop Manual' is excellent, with good photo coverage of the BBMF Lanc, showing lots of detail, even down to engine start and taxiing / take-off procedure.
Another, inexpensive book which has some good info on operational equipment is 'The Lancaster Story', by Peter Jacobs, published by Arms and Armour Press.
Then there's the old classic from the early 1960s, 'Lancaster - Story of a Famous Bomber', by Bruce Robertson, published by Harleyford, and also published by Aero Publications Inc in the USA.
It's long out of print, but was for many years considered to be the work on the Lanc, and is still a very good reference, covering design and development, operational use from introduction to retirement, and chapters on modifications etc, with full production and serial numbers listings, sections on the Lincoln and Shackleton, along with tone 3 view drawings of each major sub type from the Manchester to the Shackleton, and cutaway drawings of the Lanc and Lincoln.
At the time of publication, it cost 60 Shillings (£3), which was a lot of money for a book back in 1964 (it was my main Christmas present back then !), and you can probably find a copy on second hand book web sites for around the same price now.
I was fortunate recently to pick up four other works from the Harleyford range, for around £5 in total, found quite accidentally on e-bay, and I've also seen Harleyford books on such sites as Abe Books.

Depends what info you want Paul.
The SAM book is good overall, as I mentioned, but the poor photo captions show a lack of detailed knowledge, which of course casts doubt on the overall text. However, this is a relatively minor issue, and the book is still very much worth having.
If you want a detailed 'walk through' on the Lanc, then the Haynes 'Workshop Manual' is excellent, with good photo coverage of the BBMF Lanc, showing lots of detail, even down to engine start and taxiing / take-off procedure.
Another, inexpensive book which has some good info on operational equipment is 'The Lancaster Story', by Peter Jacobs, published by Arms and Armour Press.
Then there's the old classic from the early 1960s, 'Lancaster - Story of a Famous Bomber', by Bruce Robertson, published by Harleyford, and also published by Aero Publications Inc in the USA.
It's long out of print, but was for many years considered to be the work on the Lanc, and is still a very good reference, covering design and development, operational use from introduction to retirement, and chapters on modifications etc, with full production and serial numbers listings, sections on the Lincoln and Shackleton, along with tone 3 view drawings of each major sub type from the Manchester to the Shackleton, and cutaway drawings of the Lanc and Lincoln.
At the time of publication, it cost 60 Shillings (£3), which was a lot of money for a book back in 1964 (it was my main Christmas present back then !), and you can probably find a copy on second hand book web sites for around the same price now.
I was fortunate recently to pick up four other works from the Harleyford range, for around £5 in total, found quite accidentally on e-bay, and I've also seen Harleyford books on such sites as Abe Books.

Thanks Terry for the info, I will have to do some thinking and looking around but this gives me a good idea. Many thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back