A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very cool! I've thought about getting that one as well. Any good?

I have been eyeballing that on Amazon.com Wayne. How is it? A friend gave me a gift certificate for Christmas and I think I might enjoy that.:)

I'm happy with it, lot of detail info and a reasonable selection of new photo's ! worth having.:)

Picked these up on eBay. Only 12 pages each, but a lot of good info packed in.

Attachments

• hpqscan0001.jpg
    hpqscan0001.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 127
  • hpqscan0002.jpg
    hpqscan0002.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 133
The old Profile Pubs booklets are fantastic. Over 250 were produced - I have most of them (but sadly not all) in bound volumes. For their day, they were some of the best reference material around, and they're still useful today. I still browse through my copies in search of stuff. I particularly like the fact that they covered all sorts of different (and frequently obscure) aircraft.

I'm reading " Blossoms in the Winds" by M.G. Sheftall. It interviews with surviving Kamikaze pilots.

Never thought a book about this subject would have me laughing.

One pilot gets his call to report to a special attack unit months after he had volunteered, he was so busy just staying alive day to day it had slipped his mind that he had volunteered, and it was cloaked in such indefinite terms, he wasn't even sure what he volunteered for.

He reports to his unit late, because of the difficulty of traveling from his old unit near Taiwan to the new unit on Honshu. Since he's late and everybody else has be briefed weeks before, he has to educate himself.

He goes into a hanger and there's a Oka. He'd never even heard of one. To him, being a torpedo bomber pilot it looks like a torpedo with a cockpit cut in it, and wings stuck on.

He says out loud " It looks like a bomb!" One of the technicians working on it told him " Well sir, probably because that's exactly what it is"

Last edited:
talking of kamikazes, this new volume deals in some detail with actions by the Luftwaffe's own 'Selbstopfer' (self-sacrifice) pilots. Volume II of Mombeeck's JG 4 history just published and now available in the US via Eagle Editions..(translated by Neil Page)

STORMINGTHEBOMBERSAchronicleofJG4TheLuftwaffes4thfighterwingVol2a-1.jpg

talking of kamikazes, this new volume deals in some detail with actions by the Luftwaffe's own 'Selbstopfer' (self-sacrifice) pilots. Volume II of Mombeeck's JG 4 history just published and now available in the US via Eagle Editions..(translated by Neil Page)

STORMINGTHEBOMBERSAchronicleofJG4TheLuftwaffes4thfighterwingVol2a-1.jpg

Looks like another selection of books I need to add to my list. I didn't realize that Mombeeck had to be translated. I have a few books by him.

Looks like another selection of books I need to add to my list. I didn't realize that Mombeeck had to be translated. I have a few books by him.

He has a nice easy writing style - unfortunately it's in French, which I do. The personal accounts are from the original German, which I also do. I also do Mombeeck's blurb as in this presentation of the book Wayne has just bought (cheers, mate)

"...In our Luftwaffe Gallery series I am pleased to present this expanded 'special' edition devoted to JG 26, the famed "Abbeville Boys" or "Abbeville Kids" of RAF and USAAF legend. This super new title is a 96-page A-4 landscape format book with the emphasis on the finest photographic illustrations, exceptional artwork and new and exciting personal accounts. The heart of the book comprises some thirty high quality profiles drawn and painted by Thierry Dekker and a collection of rare and, in many instances, previously unseen photographs. The selection of new first person accounts provide an unparalleled view of air combat in the skies of Britain and France, from dog-fighting between Messerschmitts and Spitfires during the campaign in the West and the Battle of Britain, to fighter bomber missions over southern England, to the Allied invasion of Normandy and the desperate sorties flown by the unit's Fw 190s against the huge USAAF bomber streams...."

Last edited:
interesting account from 'Wutz' Galland's wingman in the new JG 26 book above - ordered to 'witness' that Galland had shot down a Spit when it was quite clear that his victim in this particular instance was a Bf109 from another Staffel of JG 26, the pilot known to both men.....as Galland was a Gruppenkommandeur there was no enquiry or sanction and the whole business was hushed up...

Last edited:
He has a nice easy writing style - unfortunately it's in French, which I do. The personal accounts are from the original German, which I also do. I also do Mombeeck's blurb as in this presentation of the book Wayne has just bought (cheers, mate)

"...In our Luftwaffe Gallery series I am pleased to present this expanded 'special' edition devoted to JG 26, the famed "Abbeville Boys" or "Abbeville Kids" of RAF and USAAF legend. This super new title is a 96-page A-4 landscape format book with the emphasis on the finest photographic illustrations, exceptional artwork and new and exciting personal accounts. The heart of the book comprises some thirty high quality profiles drawn and painted by Thierry Dekker and a collection of rare and, in many instances, previously unseen photographs. The selection of new first person accounts provide an unparalleled view of air combat in the skies of Britain and France, from dog-fighting between Messerschmitts and Spitfires during the campaign in the West and the Battle of Britain, to fighter bomber missions over southern England, to the Allied invasion of Normandy and the desperate sorties flown by the unit's Fw 190s against the huge USAAF bomber streams...."

Thanks Neil. I wasn't aware there was a language barrier. Great stuff!

There was a PBS NOVA special about Bomber 31. As I remember, it was quite good...

PBS NOVA also just showed wherethey recreated the Dambusters raid in Canada. Very interesting especially how they lined up and were able to drop at the right distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back