A new book in my library. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some good stuff here.
I've had to resist buying more books - I just don't have any more shelf space left, and no more room to put more shelves !!

Time to move Terry

Sound advice. I've actually been clearing out books that I don't need. I know...I KNOW...that's totally sacrilegious but something had to give - I was running out of bookshelf space. I'm trying to be more focused in what I buy and retain...but it doesn't always work. :)

Like everyone else know that pain and what to do, for now I have moved a bunch of my generic airplane books and books on ships and tanks into the basement in a dry clean area. It was so much nicer when they where all in the same room.

Humm well I am officially in the dog house with the wife. She comes down stairs and says I thought all your books have come in the mail and I said yep should be. Then she goes I guess I can throw this in the garbage that's from Japan. Oh shit forgot about that one coming over a month ago. Then she goes what's this then. I have no idea other than from Amazon. I had forgot I had some books on pre-order before there release date. Oops. Guess I am going to have to take her out to a nice meal and a chic movie.

On the bright side nice surprise for me. The Japanese bomber one really has some nice big clear shots and the engine one full of data and info on Japanese engines.

HPIM3255.JPG

First date I went on with the foolish lady who later became my wife was while on detachment for an exercise at a USAF base. The base theatre was showing Charlie Chaplin with Robert Downey Jr (which tells you how long ago it was!) and so I invited her to go to the movies with me. She agreed and off we went. Unbeknownst to us, the Chaplin movie had been taken down and Army of Darkness was showing. Undaunted we went in to watch it (since we knew nothing about it). She walked out after 30 mins. Not the most auspicious first date in the history of romance! :)

Last edited:
View attachment 374393

Just arrived. Review later. $42.54 USD with free shipping from Book Depository.

Ok, I finally got through this book and I have to say it is a very worthy addition to the series. I honestly can't believe all the low production variants that were made off of this airframe. Truly astounding. The only thing I have to say against it is the lack of any coverage of the following version, with the dorsal gun position well aft of the cockpit. (See below) I have been trying to find information on since I discovered it in a small softcover book on Dornier Bombers and Reconnaissance aircraft.

20170531_133236.jpg

20170531_133122.jpg

I'm mostly finished with Terence O'Brien's "Chasing After Danger" and I give it the highest recommendation. It is now one of my favourite accounts of WW2 flying. O'Brien has the uncanny ability to paint pictures in language...and not just one style. He covers the broad, sweeping landscape while, at the same time, able to zoom in on tiny details, while making the whole thing seem entirely effortless and uncontrived. My favourite piece so far is his quoting of the start to Banjo Patterson's poem "The Man from Snowy River" and comparing it to the situation at St.Eval where he was posted on his first tour in March 1941. The only downside is the lack of any photos...but the storytelling more than makes up for it.

Get it. Read it. You won't regret it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back