A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_20230623_023938.jpg

IMG_20230623_034602.jpg

I have been getting an e-mail each day with sales on e-books. Must be a new but effective marketing technique. Here is the latest one I bought, today. On sale via Kindle for $2.99.

View attachment 726973
I just can't get excited about e-books. I need the tactile enjoyment of an actual book. But for that I need the tactile enjoyment of discretionary income.

I also find my kindle great for relaxing reading especially when travelling. It is light and fits in a pocket and I usually preload five or six books so that if I picked a dud one I can just move on. That is not practical with hard covers or paperbacks, especially on a long haul flight or when sitting in the lounge and grazing while waiting for the next sector the kindle can handle food and drink on your hands far better than paper.

I prefer my desktop (yes I am that old) for out of print manuals etc though.

I just can't get excited about e-books.
Me neither. Readers are just too awkward compared to a real book. I first bought my Kjndle so I could have something handy to read when I took my Mom to a restaurant. It took her so long to eat and she spent so much time looking out the window or around the restaurant that I needed something to keep it from being boring. Now, I have not cranked up the Kindle in quite some time. I really should crank it up but that would mean I would have to enter the new wifi password in it and who knows how long that would take. I can read the books on my PC at home and I'll probably just do that.

If you have DRM free ebooks, you can send them to your kindle without needing to play with passwords by installing Calibre on your computer and connecting the the kindle to your computer (add books in Calibre and then send to device). One advantage of a backlit kindle is that you can read it in poor light. I used to read paper books in the evening sitting on a sofa with my dog's head on my lap and a light on a bookcase on the opposite side. Sadly the dog got a bad back and had to have a low bed, so the bookcase had to go away. Thus I went to reading a kindle on the sofa with my free hand reaching down to the dog.

I also find my kindle great for relaxing reading especially when travelling.
I find ebooks (be that Apple Books or via the Kindle App on my iPad) extremely useful when travelling - something my work causes me to do a lot. I average about a book a week and the ebooks allow me to travel with a virtual library.

Last edited:
Use my Kindle all the time, some novels can be very large and heavy for reading and to carry, taking up luggage space. My Kindle just slips nicely into the back pack or sits nicely on the bedside table. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back