A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, "Doomed from the Start" traces the fighter squadrons from before the US go into WWII up to when they evacuated to Australia, but before they deployed to Java.

"Mac Arthurs Pearl Harbor" documents the loss of his "big sticks" the bombers.

So basically one is about the fighters and one is about the bombers during the fall of the Pillipines.

Please keep in mind that my memory may be a bit sketchy because I read these three, then the three books in the "Bloody Shambles" series so I may be doing a little mental blending.

Have you tried the used book market? BookFinder.com: Search for New Used Books, Textbooks, Out-of-Print and Rare Books

41aiEmAIEL_SY300__zpsd770e816.jpg

For £23!

tonuplancs_zps5ed439ef.jpg

For £4,63!

Last edited:
Good stuff!

Have to say, that £23 for 400+ pages about the Il-2/Il-10 isn't too shabby and £4,63 for the 100+ missions Lancaster book I should survive as well.... :lol:

I've also got my The Bomber Command War Diaries, talk about a Mk. 1 4000 lbs cookie sized book! :lol:

The Il-2/Il-10 book is 400 pages???? I might have to acquire that one myself!

432 I think it says somewhere.....

' This really is the definitive Il-2 book. The printing is excellent, the paper quality top notch with some great period photo's and colour photo's of museum aircraft. Each variation is discussed in chronological order the differences noted. The history of the aircraft, from it's design to retirement, is very well covered and there is a chapter devoted to Il-2 pilots as well. Plenty of colour profiles abound, together with detailed drawings of each variant. This is a great modellers reference book, as well as providing a great document for the Il-2, the most built war-plane in history. Highly recommended. Don't let the comparatively high price dissuade you - this is a large, well written, well researched, well illustrated book that will not disappoint.'

As one critic said, if he had one criticism, that would be that, it wasn't more three view plans, to go with the many colour profiles....

Just pre-ordered Volume Three in the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 series through Amazon.com. Delivery estimated to the second week of Feb. 2014. Just a heads up for all interested.

Got the first one shown from Max, and what an eye-opener about the grueling battle of the World's most bombed place! Thoroughly recommended.
The other two are from 'The Works', a UK 'high street' and on-line discount store.
Less than £5 for the Lanc book - normally £22, hard back !
'Agent Zig Zag' is the fascinating true story of Eddie Chapman, the subject of the not very accurate 1966 movie 'Triple Cross', starring Christopher Plummer, Yul Bryner and Gert Frobe. A really interesting read, with some incredible accounts drawn from the now de-Classified documents of MI5, which were still 'Secret' when the movie was made. At that time, the movie was based on the heavily edited and restricted (under the Official Secrets Act) book about Chapman's story, whereas this book covers the whole and complete story.
Again, thoroughly recommended.

Attachments

• Buys 252.jpg
    Buys 252.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Buys 251.jpg
    Buys 251.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Buys 253.jpg
    Buys 253.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread