A new book in my library.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

20230628_152056.jpg

A little sun burnt, but should be an interesting read.

View attachment 727297
A little sun burnt, but should be an interesting read.
I did a lookup to see what the book was about. One that I thought would be interesting. But woah...$$$. I'll wait for your review and condensed version.

I did find one site that allows reading up to page 215. Looks like a good read with many great reference photos.

Last edited:
I got a notice last week that this book was on sale for only $1.99 in Kindle format. Then I found I could buy the hardback in essentially new condition on ebay for $8.14 and ordered that.

By the way, they mention that the last air-to-air victory for the 362nd was achieved by the unit's AT-6 when a Storch was forced down on 8 May 1945 by means of a .45 automatic.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 15-53-51 Thunderbolts Triumphant The 362nd Fighter Group vs Germany's...png

I finished reading a military SF novel, and looking for something a little different, picked up one of the unread books from the stacks in the living room.
I really enjoy reading personal accounts by pilots and this book delivers in that respect. It has page after page with a little author commentary followed by quotes from WW2 pilots. The chapters cover topics such as the BoB, Bomber Offensive, the Pacific, etc. The great thing about works like this is that you read quotes you probably would have never encountered otherwise, as well as more familiar ones from well known books.
But as we Americans might say, the author don't know that much about aircraft. He says the Me-109 had three 30MM guns as well as two .30 cal ones. He has a quote from an RAF pilot that the Mustang was heavy and thus not very maneuverable; that was somewhat true of the MkI/IA but not the later versions with the revised ailerons. However, he does not let his own lack of experience get in the way of providing the real goods and, unlike some others I could name, does not wander off pontificating about how much better the RAF or Luftwaffe was as compared to the USAAF. Nor does he try to offer his own theories and opinions about tactics and strategy.

So I recommend this book. It turns out is available to borrow at Archive.org, although I do not know exactly how that process works. And you can get it on ebay for less than $7.00.

Screenshot 2023-07-08 at 07-16-45 Battle for the Skies by Paterson at DuckDuckGo.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back