A Puzzle for You (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

davparlr

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 23, 2006
Southern California
The picture you see is of my daughter and me behind a Confederate soldier's tombstone, one John R. Bell. The location is in Columbus, Ohio and the cemetery is located at the site of a Union POW camp and contains the remains of Confederates that died in the camp, about 2000. The soldier has no relations to me.

Now for the puzzle. The fact that that soldier, John R. Bell, is in that grave is vitally important to my daughter and me in being able to take that picture. How can that be?

Attachments

• POWcemetery.JPG
    POWcemetery.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 125
The fact that this man died, meant Liz and I could live.

Sounds like an Emerson Dodge situation Dave. There was a shoot out between Bell and your Great Great Grandfather, Bell was slow on the draw and GGG gets to keep the "woman". And on it goes...?

Attachments

• ed (WinCE).jpg
    ed (WinCE).jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 79
Sounds like an Emerson Dodge situation Dave. There was a shoot out between Bell and your Great Great Grandfather, Bell was slow on the draw and GGG gets to keep the "woman". And on it goes...?

Not so dramatic, but, you are closer than the others.

evangilder said:
No relations to you, but I am guessing the soldier has relations to your wife?

No relation to my wife.

Thorlifter said:
He sacraficed himself to save one of your family members?

No.

The picture you see is of my daughter and me behind a Confederate soldier's tombstone, one John R. Bell. The location is in Columbus, Ohio and the cemetery is located at the site of a Union POW camp and contains the remains of Confederates that died in the camp, about 2000. The soldier has no relations to me.

Now for the puzzle. The fact that that soldier, John R. Bell, is in that grave is vitally important to my daughter and me in being able to take that picture. How can that be?
davparir, Was Bell married to your GG Grandmother, left her behind to go off to war, had nochildren (at least in your line), died in the camp and someone else married her after the war, having children in your line?Something similar happened to my GG Grsndmother,except her husband was killed on the way home after the war!

davparir, Was Bell married to your GG Grandmother, left her behind to go off to war, had nochildren (at least in your line), died in the camp and someone else married her after the war, having children in your line?Something similar happened to my GG Grsndmother,except her husband was killed on the way home after the war!

Bingo! While researching my GG grandma, we knew she had been married before. However we recovered a letter from a friend of Bell who was in the POW camp with him. He was informing my GG grandma that Bell had died in the POW camp. He stated the camp name as Chase, in Ohio. I looked it up, and found that it had a list of buried Confederates. I found his name in the list. When I visited my daughter, who lives in Ohio, this year. I remembered the incident and found out Chase was only about an hour and half away from us, so we took a little cross country trip and found the grave. It is interesting to see history come together like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back