A Queen question for our British cousins. (actually everyone, but them, mostly)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aye, that huge fight every now and then, where an occasional game of hockey breakes out for, oh I don't know, 60 odd minutes?

"... Britain would still remain ruled by Germans though.."

The House of Windsor is German .... Windsor was adapted during WW1, IIRC :)

"... I have yet to meet an unpleasant Canadian."

You're lucky, too :)

"... There are many ways to read alternative histories. "

I guess. I'm not into it much myself, I do like irony - historical irony - and there's lot's and lot's of irony in the REAL STUFF. The US CIVIL War is loaded with ironies - classmates who served together as Cadets and in some cases battle (Mexico War) wind up facing each other and knowingly ...

Chairs,

MM

"... Britain would still remain ruled by Germans though.."

The House of Windsor is German .... Windsor was adapted during WW1, IIRC :)

"... I have yet to meet an unpleasant Canadian."

You're lucky, too :)

"... There are many ways to read alternative histories. "

I guess. I'm not into it much myself, I do like irony - historical irony - and there's lot's and lot's of irony in the REAL STUFF. The US CIVIL War is loaded with ironies - classmates who served together as Cadets and in some cases battle (Mexico War) wind up facing each other and knowingly ...

Chairs,

MM
My favorite bit of weirdness, (Civil war wise), was that the farmer that owned the land that the first battle was fought on, moved his family to Appomattox courthouse to get away from the war. Lee surrendered to Grant in his home.
So the war started in his front yard and ended in his livingroom.

I met an unpleasant Canadian once. She was a "back to nature" type.
Pretty enough, but she had decided that deoderants and "personal" grooming were not necessary.
She was wrong.

Last edited:
I remember watching (from a safe height) the riots in Montreal one year when they won the Stanley Cup. God knows what they would have done if they lost.

A lot of Canadians I come across here married Brits or Brits married Canadians and live there.
The only oddball Canadians I have ever met are the French Canadians...and thoroughly unpleasant to boot.But, that is a long story.
Still, ever country has its less than delightfull inhabitants....
John

A lot of Canadians I come across here married Brits or Brits married Canadians and live there.
The only oddball Canadians I have ever met are the French Canadians...and thoroughly unpleasant to boot.But, that is a long story.
Still, ever country has its less than delightfull inhabitants....
John
the ones that married Brits have one thing in common the Brit component of the marriage has not figured out what they are , they spend every blessed cent trying to visit the old place yet have not even checked out the new place

I've been to Canada as well as encountered many down here in my neck of the woods.

I can't think of a time when they were anything but truly nice folks, which in this day and age, is a rare thing...

I agree Dave and would say the same about Americans I have met here.
A tad loud but, nice genuine people
John

the ones that married Brits have one thing in common the Brit component of the marriage has not figured out what they are , they spend every blessed cent trying to visit the old place yet have not even checked out the new place

Good point. Some of the older mixed marriages are WW2 shortly after based. Maybe the Brit is a bit homesick even after all those years?

Funny you'd mention that, John. My girlfriend, who's from Europe, mentioned that to me as well. Her observation is that folks from the eastern side of the U.S. are louder than the Westerners...not sure why that is

Me neither.. The people from Texas insist on wearing cowboy hats and telling everyone that they are from Texas...very interesting I'm sure you'll agree.
Other than that I cannot easily tell an eastern American accent from a western accent.
I get mixed up with Aussie and Kiwi's too...:oops:

John

Rosi (my girlfriend) says that west coast Americans are very easy to understand and the east coast folks are the hardest to understand (she thinks southern American accents are funny)...but almost every place on earth has it's own unique accents. Like the difference between an Oxford and Cockney and other regional accents in the UK, for example.

Rosi (my girlfriend) says that west coast Americans are very easy to understand and the east coast folks are the hardest to understand (she thinks southern American accents are funny)...but almost every place on earth has it's own unique accents. Like the difference between an Oxford and Cockney and other regional accents in the UK, for example.

I like different accents, it makes travelling to other parts more interesting that's for sure.
In the space of 200 miles the accents in the UK are completely different...and depending where you start from end up being incomprehensible :lol:
Where is Rosi from Dave?
John

While down south of the border here, I was taken for Irish, some other times they asked: you're norse aren't you? Go figure :lol:

When I first moved here to the mountains of western North Carolina I bought a gas station/convenience store. The previous owner (Monty), had some people on a "charge" system where-by they settled the bill at the beginning of each month. He stayed on for a couple of months to help the transition, as some of the regulars were real backwoods types and seriously distrusted outsiders.
One day one of the old timers and his clan came in to do some business and, without a word, Monty handed me the card with the man's name and charges.
It was "Lloyd", which I pronounced properly, only to have them all bust out laughing at the stupid yankee; everyone knows that there are two "L's", so it's pronounced "El-loyd"!

Good morning to you, Yulzari.
Most of the settelers here came from Scotland originally, we have a festival every year to honor that.
(The local "Indian" population does not participate)
The old Confederacy is alive and well also, there is a plaque outside of the courthouse commerating a young girl that spit on the Union troops that occupied Franklin.
There is a painting inside that depicts this event as well!

That's easy-peasy...just ask them to say "Australian" and if what they say sounds like "Strine" then they're Aussies. :)

:lol:

Not just the accents get confused but the identities. Met a Canadian idiot in Sweden who tried to tell me New Zealand was an Australian state. Just said to him 'Canada's part of the USA isn't it?' - you should have seen his reaction! "Same thing" I said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back