A Sad Event

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

javlin

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 20, 2007
MS
Over the weekend we had a young man die on the football field after a play of acute cardic problems I think he was only 17 or 18 years old.Well naturally most of us even I myself never ever carried life insurance on my son even(just not a thought) and these parents did not also.Well the D'Iberville School has often done car washes off the side of our building for the cheerleaders,baseball and etc. and we supply the needed items that they use for free.So someone contacted us yesterday and inquired can we have a carwash for this young mans family to help with the funeral expenses of course the answer was "yes".I sat out there on my lunch break and watched people coming up just giving money without even getting a wash just people feeling the pain and sorrow much like me.It was nice to see people pulling together like a community should for others in a time of need.The local radio station(s) advertised the event and were it was happening and the local TV station came out at 4PM to video some of it also.The event raised well in excess of $3000 dollars for this family to make ends meet for the funeral.Here's the story ........

D'IBERVILLE, MS (WLOX) - The entire community was still in a state of shock Saturday, following the loss a young man who died playing the game he loved.

"It kind of feels like a bad dream that I just can't wake up from," said D'Iberville running back Justin Brister.

The Friday Night fanfare ended in an instant during at the D'Iberville vs. Gautier game.

"When he got up, he took about 15 steps, and then he collapsed," said D'Iberville head coach Buddy Singleton.

"I didn't know what to think; I didn't think it was nothing major," said D'Iberville quarterback Garrett Landrum.

"They rolled him over and cut his jersey off," Brister said

source:D'Iberville team reacts to the loss of teammate - WLOX-TV and WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

I thought that WLOX would of had the video of the car wash but I do not see it.Well I just I would post it really touched me and sadden me but gave hope at the same time.

Most definitely very tragic. Seems like this is happening more and more often nowadays or perhaps it is just better reporting. Don't recall ever hearing about this when I was in high school and we had nothing like the equipment or care today's athletes receive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back