A žije Republika! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pisis

2nd Lieutenant
Nov 3, 2004
Praga Mater Urbium
or Long Life the Republic!

1_masaryk.jpg

Today, we celebrate the 90th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia. A free, fully democratic state.

map_czech_republic.jpg

In 1918, this country got independence on the Austro-Hungarian Empire, where it was forcidibly put into three centuries earlier.

The Bohemian Kingdom was once - at the reign of Charles IV in 14th Century - the very center of the old Europe and was even the center of the predecessor of the EU - the Holy Roman Empire.

Since 1918, Czechoslovakia ceased to exist two times - first when it was taken by the Nazis between 1939-1945 and then in 1993, when Czechoslovakia split peacefully into two independent countries - Czech Republic and Slovakia.

czech-slovakia-breakup-map.gif

Nonetheless, some of us living in this country want to bear the tradition of a multicultural, peaceful and super-successful country that Czechoslovakia was, as we say, "between the world wars". This is also why we celebrate a National Day of a state that actually does not exist anymore.
smailik_cz.gif

1_protunasirepubliku.jpg

Congrats Pisis and to all of our Czech members. As you know I have worked extensively with Czechs and have an appreciation of their aircraft industry. Still hope to visit someday.

or Long Life the Republic!

Today, we celebrate the 90th anniversary of the creation of Czechoslovakia. A free, fully democratic state.

Who knows, maybe some day the Czech and Slovak nations will be peacefully reunited. I think that would benefit both, economically and politically.

Venganza

Hi.

I'm sorry for posting that here, but I preferred doing so instead of starting a new thread...

In a distant future (well, not so distant, I hope), when I'll go back in Europe, I would like to go visit Prague. However I have a small problem... Your official language is Czech and there is no school teaching that language in Canada. (Your country must be too small, I think. ;) )

Knowing that my first language is French and my second is English, what other language do you suggest me to learn to make sure they'll understand me ? German ? Russian ? An other one ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back