A6M Zero Wing Thickness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The first one is from "Drawing Book of Type 0 Model 21 Carrier Fighter" published by IJN in 1941 and Hara Shobo in 1978.
The second one is my CGI image.
Thanks.

I can tell you it is ODD. It looks normal from above but, if you sight along the leading edge, it appears to droop. The trailing edge appears straight. It doesn't really droop much, but it looks like it. That's the washout. The bottom skin appears straight and the ribs slowly twist the leading edge downward until you reach the tip. Tomorrow is Saturday, and I'll get a shot of it and post in the aviation section under my A6M5 Model 52 thread.

Looks like the place I was looking for.Anyone confirm these measurements?Shinpachi where are you :)
Zero Coaming.jpg
zero panel.jpg

If there were differences between each plane built, I bet it drove maintenance crews insane to work on them.

Here is a wartime photograph from about the same angle.
The washout isn't so apparent here though we do know it exists.

The modern aeroplane is from the same batch and may even be the same particular aeroplane.
Observe the tail code.

- Ivan.

Attachments

• A6M_Zero_361_Kokutai_on_Saipan_1944.jpg
    A6M_Zero_361_Kokutai_on_Saipan_1944.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 316
Comparing airframes the Zero is probably built at the same strength as a lot of other fighters.Both the Spitfire and Me109 have designs of the same comparable complexity and strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back