Academy 1/48 MiG 21 MF

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rochie

Staff
Mod
My next build is a bit different.

Polish Air Forcs MiG 21 MF, No 9111.

4f802a61022d0c39a78d91f3e87f2ee3 (1).jpg
64786.jpg

The kit

received_917346322358235.jpeg

Off now to do some research on interior colours !
received_1121889994979107.jpeg
received_809291219688514.jpeg

Last edited:
The cockpit interior - the emerald ( turquoise)

These colours below ... no rule ( all depended on time and available paint ) :
the wheel bay door - silver , olive green ( Humbrol 226 ) , grass green or grey.
the front airbrakes - silver , olive green ( Humbrol 226 )
the rear airbrake - silver, grey,

My pleasure. :)

The paint for the cockpit can be :

Vallejo Model Air - Cockpit Emerald Green Faded 71.331
AK Interactive RC206 - Russian Cockpit Turquoise
Xtracolor X629 - Soviet Interior Blue/Green
MIG 223 - Interior Turquoise Green
MRP 001 - Russia Turquoise Cockpit
Modelmaster 2135 - USSR Interior Blue-Green
AeroMaster 1270 - Warpac Cockpit Blue Green

Most of the MiG-21s I seen brought into the US had the wheel bays gray, all door and speed brake interiors silver as mentioned by Wurger. Cockpit turquoise. I guess it varies by operator as well and any field maintenance done on the aircraft by the operator.

Good one Karl.
It's a nice kit, although I built their PF version, which is basically the same kit with different parts for the nose section, and it went together without problems from what I remember. It's the one in the cabinet in the bedroom you use when you visit.
When you come to paint the model, a good way to simulate the "aluminium" paint finish used is to mix a little gloss white with the silver, which gives that "coated silver" appearance, as shown on my model below.

MiG 21 283.jpg

And here is a clipped enlarged shot of the cockpit hood of the Polish MiG-21 PFM nr. 6913. It can be noticed that the primer was of the "dirty" yellow tone. Then the Grey colour was applied. And finally the hood got the Turquoise coat after overhauling of the plane.

osl21.JPG

the pic source: Witamy na naszej stronie! - Mój MiG-21

Yes , that's the grey coat there. At that time the paint of a couple of different tones ( from light grey to almost white ) was used for the general overhaul. The second pic of the kite posted in #1, shows the grey colour clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back