Academy 1/48 Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

aqua_ta

Airman 1st Class
Aug 9, 2008
Southampton,England
Hi guys, I've just finished my Thunderbolt 'nose art' edition.
The kit is very good in both general detail and fit, with the only slight problem is the lack of positive locating point for the front screen and also the kit decals.
I painted the NMF with Humbrol metalcote 27002 polished aluminium which I found to look great after a good buff up, but a good clear coat of multiple layers will be needed if you are going to mask over it. I found out the hard way as the tape (Tamiya) would lift the clear off in large sheets. But anyway I'm happy with the results.

Attachments

• DSCF2885.JPG
    DSCF2885.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF2886.JPG
    DSCF2886.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF2888.JPG
    DSCF2888.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF2889.JPG
    DSCF2889.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 101
Yeah, I need a kick up the Rs sometimes - got a few 'almost finished' models, mostly awaiting diorama bases, so the final delicate bits are added when the model is ready to go on the base. That's my excuse anyway!

Sure looks nice. Funny that Academy kits can look pretty bad from a scaling standpoint whereas some, like this one, look good.

This was the first Academy kit I got, and I was most impressed Andy, especially at the price at that time - £10, and that was at the shop at Duxford! At that time, the average Tamiya kit was around £15. Only built a few Academy kits since (P-38, Buchon and MiG21), and they were all nicely produced and seemed to 'scale out' well.

Thank you, it was a first time using metalcote and I agree with airframes that it is a very good kit especially for a tenner. I have built a few Academy kits and they are very good apart from the decals.

Thank you.
N4521U, the metalcote is very good though it may be easier to paint the other colours leaving the metalcote till last. It will however look great once buffed up, just a shame the photo's don't really show it too well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back