Academy 1/72 Fw190 A8 Heinz Bär with Kübelwagen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clausewitz

Airman
Nov 2, 2011
Turkey
Hi all. This is my first post here on this great place. I'll try to build this fierce bird with my limited skills. Hope to hear you guys' criticism. And I sure have some questions.

Here's the thing:

A72Fw190-01.jpg

For the first time, I'm using this organizer for the parts I've cut off and sanded, either as each on its own or as a sub-assembly. Makes work more fun.

DSC_0057.jpg

I sprayed Humbrol 32 as RLM 66 on cockpit parts and Revell 45 as RLM 02 on wheel wells and insides of undercarriage doors.

DSC_0058.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

As for main undercarriage legs, I saw an example painted in the underside color (RLM 76) and many others painted in RLM 02. Squadron Signal's book says 'most of them' were painted RLM 02. So I took this path and sprayed these Revell 45 as well.

Today begins a 4-day-long holiday, so I'll be back after that.

Aydin

A nice beginning. Looking forward to the build as the model isn't too accurate and all parts need to be corrected. However a couple of guys here showed that the OOB model looks quite good with some of attention to assembling and painting.

Last edited:
Welcome Aydin. Don't be shy to ask any questions but looks like you have a pretty good handle on things so far.

Thanks guys. Wurger, I know that OOB means out-of-the-box but I've never heard of BOB. What is that? I can try to correct some major inaccuracies where I see them, with a little help from my friends :) CR, I built a few things before and I'm slightly getting better with my cheap airbrush, but I suck at weathering.

Here's a question that's bugging me, though it's a bit early for this. Does the aerial sag when the canopy is open? It should, but it's not clearly visible in many photographs, and modelers do it both ways.

By the way, I'll introduce myself in the appropriate section.

Last edited:
Well good luck I built this kit myself and I say beware of the wings either the bottom part is too long or the top wings are too short. If you do it like the instructions say you will have a gap on both sides at the wing root , also the decals are not that great either so be careful with them as well.

Other than that I really did not have any other issues wit it.

As Wojtek stated, the antenna wire would depend on the canopy type. With the original, 'flat-sided' canopy, there was a pulley system which kept the wire taught when open. On the later, 'blown' canopy, the wire sagged when the canopy was open.

If you want to see all major inaccuracies you might be interested in this....
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/group-builds/fw190a6-sturmjager-sturmstaffel1-16915.html

I read all 43 pages of your thread and had to go wash my face to regain sanity. You made it clear that the kit itself is an inaccuracy. Correcting any of the defects is waayyy beyond my skills. So I'll try it as OOB. A newbie like myself should improve his skills first, right?
The craziest detailer I ever saw was a guy called chukw on ARC, but you are detailing as if you came from outer space. Amazing work.

Thank you for these nice words about my work. That's very kind of you. I'm sure your Wurger can be a nice OOB assembling as well.

Here you are links to Imalko's threads about his build. Igor made the model as almost OOB work with a few corrections only . It's a proof that a such inaccurate kit might be a base for a nice model.

Start to Finish
Finished model

Oops! Wrong message deleted. Anyway, I'm writing it again.

I made some improvements to the cockpit, unfortunately they will be almost out of sight. Seatbelts out of tamiya masking tape and buckles out of fine copper wire. In the end I was about to lose my mind, so I didn't bother painting them.

DSC_0042.jpg

Then I glued it in place and closed the fuselage.

DSC_0044.jpg

Oh, no. Does the pilot have to stand up to look around in this aircraft? Bugger! Seat misplaced. Or is it? I looked through the gap below, but couln't find any other way. Tonight I'm checking it again.

Last edited:
No problem. I have deleted the doubled post.

Seatbelts out of tamiya masking tape and buckles out of fine copper wire. In the end I was about to lose my mind, so I didn't bother painting them.

A such small bits like seatbelts and buckles etc... should be painted before attaching. Of course it should be done very careful because painting of these pieces makes them thicker what is quite unnatural looking. Just for the future. :)

And what about the seat? Since you have the same kit, you might have taken a look. Should I bother ripping the fuselage away in two and try to get it right? And please answer this in terms of a newbie, not an expert as yourself :)

One of the modelling rules says that it is better to start something again from the beginning than correct the existed thing. It means that there is always a possibility of making damages or just destroying of parts. So please don't split the fuselage up or unstick anything. Just let it be as it is. We can use another rule of modelling that says that a fool won't get it straight and a wise man will say nothing.
But, if you really want to colour these seatbelts you can use abrush of No_OO or no. OOO with a small amount of paint on its working top. But you have to have a steady hand in order to paint these through the cockpit "hole". But if you don't have it just leave it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips. Your seat belts are amazing. I guess I shouldn't have tried making buckles in this scale. By the way, I wasn't talking about opening up for painting the buckles, it is not possible to paint them anymore. My intention was to correct the seat position only. But I'm not touching it.

Oh.. I was sure we were tallking about these seatbelts. Sorry...
Well.... the seat is really a little bit too down. But it can be assumed the pilot of the kite was very tall. So leave it as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back