Academy 1/72 Fw190 A8 Heinz Bär with Kübelwagen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Moving on, though a little bit mr slowhand style. some kleinigkeiten painted, they will be washed with oil paint+turpentine when dry.

Fw190-07.jpg

Points of possible problem were sprayed silver to highlight defects. Starboard wing root was done with CA which looks ok, but still needs a touch. Port wing root was a pain, and said 'not without putty'. Putty it earned. Needs more work.

Fw190-08.jpg

Fw190-09.jpg

Fw190-12.jpg

For the Kübel, it's trying to attract attention. Fitting problems are seen below, although I tried hard.

Fw190-14.jpg

So far, so good. Will be back.

I tried to scribe the panel lines that were filled and sanded away at wing roots, but I ended up with a non-linear line since the ammunition cap gets in the way of the ruler. I filled them back with CA and will try a credit card instead of a ruler tonight.
After masking the roots of propeller blades with Micromask, I sprayed Gunze's RLM70.

Fw190-15.jpg

Then I masked the prepainted (Model Master flat white) propeller hub (is this what this thingy is called?) as a spiral with uhu-tac and sprayed Gunze RLM70 as well.

Fw190-16.jpg

Fw190-17.jpg

I pressed on uhu tac spiral with my finger just to prevent it from looking like a soft mask. Not bad, I guess.

Last edited:
Here is the engine cover thingy washed with oil and turp.

Fw190-18.jpg

After an hour break, I came back and didn't bother to use the airbrush for gloss coating just two tiny pieces. I used an acryclic gloss cote can that I used to spray before buying an airbrush. I believe I fogged the pieces first, then sprayed good, bu the photo below claims otherwise. Prop hub is OK, but the prop itself is ruined. I must have flooded it. Or maybe I should have waited longer. Anyway, hydraulic fluid is there for me. :cry:

Fw190-19.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

I'm glad that you like the progress. Here's a small update.

I sanded and repainted the blades with RLM 70, and no gloss cote of any kind this time. I sprayed RLM 65 to the underside since there's no RLM 76 left at hand. Similar colors, I thought.

Fw190-22.jpg

Then came RLM 74 and 75 of Gunze acrylics, thinned with Tamiya acrylic thinner. I hand painted the camouflage pattern. Color degradation looks better this way to me, though out of scale. Guess I should do this in 1/48 or higher, but not in 1/72.

Fw190-21.jpg

Fw190-20.jpg

Fw190-23.jpg

I've got the red fuselage band and yellow cowling-underside to go. By the way, what do I mix to get that odd red?

Last edited:
I mean this red in the fuselage band:

bar3.jpg

The colour is called the dull dark red in English references. Also you can find the name of Rusty-Red primer. In German ones it is called RLM23. The FS number is 31140 - Humbrol 60, Gunze H414, Aeromaster 1014, Testors 2073, Xtracolor X217.

Because your model is of 1/72 scale I wouldn't suggest making the colour darker or lighter. General rule says the smaller model the lighter colours for painting. But in the case it should be enough to use one of these above.

Attachments

• RLM23.jpg
    RLM23.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back