Academy P-47D, 1/72 "Oh Johnnie"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Hi all

I've decided to do a start-to-finish thread again, this time with a subject I can actually finish :lol:

I've just received the Academy 1/72 P-47D, and a set of Eagle Cal decals for two bubbletops. I have chosen to model. P-47D-27-RE 42-26785, better known as "6D5" "Oh Johnnie", piloted by 1st Lt. Raymond L. Knight of the 350th FG.

Knight was the last AAF airman to receive the MOH during WWII (and presumably, the last AAF recipient of this award ever, as the AAF ceased to exist less than two years later). The full MoH citation is available at www.HomeOfHeroes.com, and is reproduced in the decal sheet instructions, but suffice it to say that Knight was an incredibly brave pilot, and was killed trying to get a crippled machine home rather than bail out and lose the aircraft at a time when his squadron was short of planes :salute:

I wasn't aware of the story behind the markings - I just wanted to do an OD P-47 and thought these markings were a bit different. However, knowing the history behind a build always spurs me on a little.

Anyway, here are some pics of the kit and decals, progress pics to follow:

100_1116-1.jpg

100_1118.jpg

Great start BT, and it's always more satisfying to have some background story behind the models built. If the kit is anything like Academy's 1/48th scale version, then it should be good, very good !

Cheers guys 8) T Bolt, the interior colour is simply Humbrol 78 Interior Green straight out of the tin, so I guess it's lucky it's the right shade! :lol:

Wings, stabilisers and engine are now on, I will probably get the primer on before I go to work, which means painting starts about 10.30 tonight unless I do a bit more on the P-51. I am seriously going to have to move on to larger projects, I'm getting through these little birds in no time now :lol:

Primer is on now, but will probably save painting for tomorrow when I'm a bit more alert :lol: Terry, the kit has gone together flawlessly, and I've been looking at some of Academy's 1/48 range for my next few projects. The quality is excellent for the price, beats Airfix and Revell hands down!

Yep, they're nice kits. My first Academy kit, about 5 or 6 years ago, was their 1/48th scale P47D, bought at Duxford for £10, when the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits were around £18 and £35 respectively. I've since built around 4 or 5 more Academy kits, and certainly can't complain about quality or value for money. Some have a few minor accuracy problems, but nothing serious, and there always seem to be plenty of parts 'not for use' left over for the spares box too !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back