Acronyms - the definition

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I would like to suggest to everyone that when you post a thread and use an acronym, the first time you use the acronym put the definition right next to it. For example....

The COG was changed on the F4U when the cockpit was moved back.

Not everyone knows what COG means. Put something like this....

The COG (Center Of Gravity) was changed on the F4U when the cockpit was moved back.

Sure would be helpful to us dummies!

ahhh...but you learned what CoG was, right? :lol:

Then there's RoF (Rate of Fire)
RPM (rounds Per Minute)
RPM (Revolutions Per Minute)
IAS (Indicated Air Speed)
TAS (True Air Speed)
KTAS (Knots True Air Speed)
GA (Ground Attack)
CAP (Combat Air Patrol)
RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police)
BYOB (Bring Your Own Beer)
and MFT (More To Follow)

:evil4:

I'm probably guilty of this. I do try the correct format, which is to write the words of the acronym in full, followed by the acronym in brackets, when I think that it is not obvious. The various positions in the British Air Ministry and Royal Air Force (RAF) ;) being cases in point. I shall do so for all acronyms in the future.
Cheers
Steve

I like to read the posts on aerodynamics which are full of acronymns I don't understand, it is readings equivalent to the shipping weather forecast on radio.

In my job the acronyms showed the creeping power of political correctness.
In 1985 something out of specification was given an NCR (Non conformance report) by 1996 this had been changed to a DDR (Deviation Decision Request, in 2010 an enterprising company did away with all that and introduced an OFR (Opportunity For Improvement) and yes, believe it or not even disasters like the Deepwater Horizon would be covered by documents stating "opportunities for improvement".

I believe it or not even disasters like the Deepwater Horizon would be covered by documents stating "opportunities for improvement".

I vaguely remember that the name of the regulatory authority was changed after that, a bit like Me 210 to Me 410 :)
Cheers
Steve

Definitely an opportunity there. We still use NCRs in my neck of he woods

I vaguely remember that the name of the regulatory authority was changed after that, a bit like Me 210 to Me 410 :)
Cheers
Steve

The stunts pulled in the oil industry never ceased to amaze me. Changing the name of the documents saved many headaches, quite cynically. The final data book has to be reviewed and sent to many parties including the insurers. People look much more deeply into documents called "Non Conformance Report" than they do into an "Opportunity for Improvement". Of course there will be another disaster, hands will be wrung and an LLL issued "List of Lessons Learned"

The philosophy was to move towards the airline industry's culture of no blame and recording of minor incidents to prevent major ones but oil is run by greed and short term contracts.

The philosophy was to move towards the airline industry's culture of no blame and recording of minor incidents to prevent major ones but oil is run by greed and short term contracts.

A much more sensible method, though it too has its draw backs. I was recently working in Glasgow and drove daily past the Clutha bar, on to which, tragically, a police helicopter crashed in 2013.
I remember when the AAIB....oops, sorry Air Accident Investigation Branch report was published that the families of those killed and injured on the ground were disappointed that the report did not apportion blame, but rather concentrated on establishing the facts of the accident. You can't please everyone all the time.
Cheers
Steve

NEPA, Nigerian Electrical Power Authority, or as it was more commonly known, No Electrical Power At all. I think they might have changed that name too.
Cheers
Steve

NCR = National Cash Registers (company name) in the UK
DDR (Deviation Decision Request) was also the Acronym for East Germany (Deutsche Demokratische Republik), working in what was the old west Germany but only 3 Km from the border one drunken German asked me and my colleague why we spent so much time discussing politics, speaking in North East English the only thing he understood was "DDR" and he clearly didnt believe our unlikely explanation, we had to take a copy of the blank document to prove we wernt political agitators.

NEPA, Nigerian Electrical Power Authority, or as it was more commonly known, No Electrical Power At all. I think they might have changed that name too.
Cheers
Steve
Many companies I worked for were acronyms, of course it was our duty to make up the true meaning of the letters

MMA make mine alcohol
MMI mickey mouse Inspection

In my early days doing ultrasonics a weld that was clear was reported as N.A.D. (no apparent defect) we managed to convince a trainee that it meant Not A Dickybird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back