Acronyms - the definition

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've only ever heard the claim that Quantas has never suffered a fatal accident involving a jet airliner. I actually don't know if that's true or not.
Accidents and fatalities in earlier days are well known and recorded.

That's how I understand it Steve...not in the Jet-age but certainly in the Prop-age...

img031.jpg

After the 1989 Academy Awards and according to the New York Times - fifteen major US airlines cut the scene with Hoffman's "Qantas never crashes" line from their in-flight movie channels.

1-10-30 are the usual ratios given in the Heinrich/Bird triangle. If you are interested you can look it up and find out what that refers to :)
As I said, I'm not an H+S guy, but it helps to know some of this stuff when you have to deal with them!
Cheers
Steve
1-30-300 MAY be more applicable to aviation than some other industries because it has a longer history of actively pushing safety. Medical definitely seems to be in the 1-10-30 catagory. On a recent hospital visit post surgery I was given sweetened yoghurt, sweetened custard and a milk drink containing 35gm sugar. The delivery docket with it had diabetic highlighted in purple.

One common item in good aviation companies which makes it easier to sell safety to the staff is Just Culture
upload_2017-3-26_14-42-37.png

Two recent examples - pilot x is running late on a 10 seat single crew member scheduled flight and decides to skip the extra walkaround after pax are loaded to catch up. After takeoff there is a loud drumming from outside the aircraft. He lands, is told by ground ops a seat belt was hanging out when taxiing in. He unloads everyone, does a circuit to confirm that was the problem, reloads and continues, now an extra 15 minutes late. He reported the error, got congratulated by the CEO for doing everything right after the error (got a little something extra for a reward) and all pilots on the type were advised of the potential problem.
Pilot y was flying a BK117 and landed in long grass (NOT permitted). There was an obstacle which he thought cracked the paint on the rear door. He continued operating (away from base) without reporting it to engineering until the next maintenance was due and casually commented to engineering that the rear door had cracked paint and was stiff to open. The door was split from top to bottom and the section below the door containing the emergency kit was totally destroyed. Aircraft on ground for over a week for repairs and pilot terminated for the multiple reckless violations. Regulator notified in accordance with the legislation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back