Adobe Flash Player....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Where can download the latest one of the Adobe Flash Players, 10 something I think, without having to come across the bl**dy Active X thingy? The Adobe website keep asking to download the blasted thing and I bl**dy not want to! :evil: :lol:

Lucky, that Activex thing is the download manager, which is how Adobe do the download and installation on your computer. There isn't an alternative installation method that I know of.

Lucky
sorry to really p*ss you off but I've just been prompted with the upgrade.
Don't you just need to use it and the software will check for upgrades for you? No expert on the subject I hasten to add...

There's nothing wrong with ActiveX, you shouldn't be concerned about it.
Missed that
catch is right Lucky, in fact, your flash player won't run without ActiveX controls, nor will Java, Adobe Reader, Shockwave etc etc

They only need to be digitally signed, which they will be if they've come from Microsoft or Adobe flash/reader/shockwave (and Sunsystems for Java).

Missed that
catch is right Lucky, in fact, your flash player won't run without ActiveX controls, nor will Java, Adobe Reader, Shockwave etc etc

They only need to be digitally signed, which they will be if they've come from Microsoft or Adobe flash/reader/shockwave (and Sunsystems for Java).

Ah, not really, activeX is not supported in Firefox, which is the reason why FF is so much safer than IExplorer. ActiveX is well known for it's security problems and leave the port wide open for many mallware stuff.
Still Adobe, Shockwave and flash will work with FF. Java is a program language, used for cross-platform programs and will work on any OS, and no dependencies on ActiveX. I use Linux which doesn't support ActiveX and still works perfect for all websites except for the Microsoft pages.
Flash on linux is installed by "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree", no ActiveX is used and I always have the latest version as it updates itself without harassing me 8)

Ah, not really, activeX is not supported in Firefox, which is the reason why FF is so much safer than IExplorer. ActiveX is well known for it's security problems and leave the port wide open for many mallware stuff.
Still Adobe, Shockwave and flash will work with FF. Java is a program language, used for cross-platform programs and will work on any OS, and no dependencies on ActiveX. I use Linux which doesn't support ActiveX and still works perfect for all websites except for the Microsoft pages.
Flash on linux is installed by "sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree", no ActiveX is used and I always have the latest version as it updates itself without harassing me 8)
Don't know about firefox, never felt the need to try it
I don't know the intricacies of Java but I'm pretty sure they do have dependencies - could be wrong there though, ActiveX has never been something I've felt the need to delve into any deeper than I have done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back