Air Museums (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DBII

Senior Master Sergeant
Oct 16, 2007
Conroe, Texas
I love traveling to military museums. I went to Dayton last year. I have not been to the new Air and Space wing or to the Naval Flight Museum. My father wants to go back to Dayton next year but I would like to go somewhere new. Where should I talk my father into going next summer? What is the best museum stateside?

DBII

For aircraft I really enjoyed the NASM in Washington DC and the US Army Aviation Museum at Ft. Rucker.

Not stateside but I will be checking out a Me 262, Me 163 and a Bf 109E this weekend in Munich but I wont make it to the main Air Museum due to lack of time.

For aircraft I really enjoyed the NASM in .

The NASM is a must..

on the west coast, the Seattle museum of flight:
Museum of Flight

San Diego has a pretty cool one too... (kinda small)
SDAM - Welcome to the San Diego Air Space Museum

The USS Midway is also in SD with a lot of great aircraft:
The Midway :: San Diego's Aircraft Carrier Museum

And if u find ourself in central CA the Castle AFB Museum is worth a look.
.: Welcome to the Castle Air Museum -- Atwater, California :.

this web site is dedicated to aviation museums:

Aviation Museum Locator

For Tanks... these would be fun:

AAF Tank Museum - American Armoured Foundation - American - In Danville Virginia

Tanks - Patton Tank Museum

CA is on my list after Florida. So many planes and so little time. Thanks for the suggestions. If you are good I will posts pictures this weekend.

Clank, Clank, I'm a tank

DBII

If anyone is in Bangkok, Thailand I can recommend the Royal Thai Air Force Museum at Don Muang Airport.

It has several sole remaining types such as Vought VS93 Corsair, Curtis Hawk III and Tachikawa Ki36 Ida plus many others. Well presented and in good condition. No entry fee but donations appreciated.

I have many photos if anyone interested.

It is at the opposite side to the civilian terminal at 171 Phayonyothin Road. For more info if you are in BKK call: Tel.0 2534 1853,
0 2534 2113

pipitapan

Attachments

• B_P12E.JPG
    B_P12E.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 78
  • BOEING~3.JPG
    BOEING~3.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 74
  • HAWK3_01.JPG
    HAWK3_01.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 73
  • TKI36_01.JPG
    TKI36_01.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 87
  • SABRES.JPG
    SABRES.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 93
Pictures please?

Yes I will post them in a seperate thread, as I dont want to hijack this one. Unfortuanatly the majority of the aircraft that belong to the Deutsches Museum are at a seperate airfield. At the museum itself there are only a Bf 108, Bf 109E, Me 262, Me 163, V1, V2 and some other smaller aircraft.

I would love to go to Thailand. The type 11 (75N) is a reproduction. It was painted in Houston Texas. The plane was at the Lone Star Flight Museum for over a year prior to the Royal Tai Air Force Museum. It was in flying condition when it left. It's sister shows up from time to time at airshows. I posted the sister plane's picture last week on another thread.

Thanks for the leads everyone.

DBII

Der Adler, is the museum in Munich the Military Industrial Museum? I went the Museum and cannot remember where the place is. I hate getting old.

DBII

Der Adler, is the museum in Munich the Military Industrial Museum? I went the Museum and cannot remember where the place is. I hate getting old.

DBII

No the one in Munich is the Deutsches Museum (German Museum). It is however not about Germany and rather a Physics Museum. It is the largest Physics Museum in the world and very well done. It does cover aircraft though but most of the aircraft are at an old WW2 Airfield just outside of Munich that is part of the Deutsches Museum.

A few more interesting aircfaft from the RTAF Museum at Don Muang, Bangkok.

The Corsair 1 is the only one in the world...

Attachments

• Curtis Helldiver_01.JPG
    Curtis Helldiver_01.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 53
  • CORSAIR1.JPG
    CORSAIR1.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 56
  • BREGUET.JPG
    BREGUET.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 56
  • Bearcat_01.JPG
    Bearcat_01.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 52
  • RTAF01.JPG
    RTAF01.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 76
I think that P-12 is the last one in existance. I've heard the Bangkok museum has a few rare ones.

The Vought Corsair V-93S, Tachikawa Ki-55 'Ida' and the Curtis Hawk III are the only ones claimed to be the sole survivors, I believe the USAF Museum has a Boeing P12.

There is a good selection of aircraft there, from 1920s to fairly recent, mostly in good or reaonable condition, plus good displays of weapons and uniforms etc. It is usually very quiet there, no crowds, free entry. A few more English translations last time I was there (Dec 2005) and the new RTAF Colonel I/C seemed very keen to make it more of an attraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back