Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"Wingnut, you've got the remarkable Parnall Prawn, which could alter the thrust line of the engine to escape spray and improve take off from the water. The engine was 'borrowed' from the R101 airship."

Yep, I found it while chasing around the net trying to find out what the Swordfish looking machine was.... that turned out tobe the Vickers Type 253.

Parnell also made a competitor for Specification G4/31 that looked very similar (see attached).

Probably a good idea putting the R101 engine in the Prawn after seeing what happend to the R101. I used to work at Cardington where the old R101/R100 hangars are ... back in the 1970s.... they are still there, very impressive.

Airshipsonline : Sheds : Cardingtom

Cardington Airship Hangars @ Fotopic.Net

Attachments

• g431.jpeg
    g431.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 158
Graeme,

most remarkable how fast you answered. The level in this forum indeed is extremely high. I have not the slightest idea what became of the Bussard. During the 1970s we Germans still tended to scrap any ecomomically useless aircraft...so i fear it is gone.

I have not the slightest idea what became of the Bussard.

So Chris, fess up, HOW did you locate the Bussard?? (is that German for Buzzard?) All I have is that picture from 1961 with a caption and its registration, D-EHIV...

D-EH

And I was pretty sure that it was illegible on the posted photo.

Cheers,
Graeme.

Well, there´s a book "50 Jahre deutsche Motorflugzeuge" (50 years of german motor planes ) by Rolf Wurster which lists about any obscure german aircraft built after the war (after 1945 we built MOSTLY obscure aircraft...:)...). I just had to look under Puetzer to find an article about the Bussard (=Buzzard, you´re correct again). The last thing i know about the D-EHIV (from the web) is that in 1973 was still registered to Horten and in 1977 was deleted from the register.

Hey friends, I've no idea yet about Graeme's two, but I'm working on it. And now for something completey different: Would you please look at my "Airlines and Manuacturers of the 1920's" thread? Maybe you could help me and my colleagues.

Thanks in advance,
Krabat

Grame, those two are confusing. The first one obvious is some variant of the T-28 (remember the recent Fennec display at the Hahnweide, Krabat?). But it is neither a NA-159, nor a XT-28, nor any version of the T-28, also no Fennec, Normair or Nomad. All got that fin on the back. What´s it indeed?.

The other one should be a Mitsubishi B2M2, though the shape of the rudder doesn´t fit 100%. Maybe it still is one?

Well, there´s a book "50 Jahre deutsche Motorflugzeuge" (50 years of german motor planes ) by Rolf Wurster which lists about any obscure german aircraft built after the war

Sounds like a very interesting read Christopher.

The first one obvious is some variant of the T-28

Not related to the T-28 or a product of the North American company. A clue would be-what was a competitor in a design competition in 1950 to find a new primary trainer? It was also evaluated by the US Navy.

The other one should be a Mitsubishi B2M2, though the shape of the rudder doesn´t fit 100%. Maybe it still is one?

Not a Mitsubishi product. Much further down the alphabet of Japanese aircraft companies.

Graeme,

regarding the japanese Bird i give up. Maybe somebody else can solve this?

These may help Chris, but they're all I could find on the net last night. Appears to be an aircraft that aviation has forgotten. I must confess that the photo I posted was uncaptioned, so I'm making an assumption as to its true identity, but I think that these are it;

This is Yokosuka B3Y1.The aircraft bomber looks a bit different in Greame's pic from the colour profile of Choroszy Modelbud model top-box.But I think it is.

This is Yokosuka B3Y1.The aircraft bomber looks a bit different in Greame's pic from the colour profile of Choroszy Modelbud model top-box.But I think it is.

Thanks for the confirmation on the B3Y1 Wurger. The tail of the profile painting does look slightly different to the photo I posted.

Another trainer to identify...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back