Aircraft Identification V

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looks like this wasn't that difficult. I thought, cropping would make it harder. Fairey Spearfish is correct. I would like to attack a carrier task force with a dozen of those, maybe covered by Bristol Brigands and DH Hornets ;) The idea came when I saw the AviaQuiz picture.
So, you're next Graeme.

Number two is Czechoslovakian.

Number one is a transport aircraft regarded as one of the worst aircraft ever built. Built by Greeks in the the US, it was designed by Greeks, and the venture was promoted by a Greek-and every Greek restaurateur on the West Coast stuck a few bucks into the project.
Its short flying life ended as a Hollywood prop, and can be seen in the movie, "Flying Tigers" with John Wayne. Other appearances were also made in low budget "Tarzan" and "Jungle Jim" movies.

Graeme, As you asked :)...nothing exciting I started as an inspector at CAC in Port Melbourne in 81 after arriving in Oz from the UK, I was mainly working on the Mirage IIIC Wing LOTEX and New Wing Build, then CAC amagamated/got taken over by "Dirty Harry's" (Hawker de Havilland) I moved on to the F/A18A and 747 L/E Flaps. I was involved in the ill fated Wamira debacle until that died and then moved on to the PC9 wing build. I finally managed to escape the factory environment in 88 and moved the HdH's new hangar at Tullamarine Airport where I was involved in the RAAFs Boeing 707 Air Refuelling Tanker mod... I'm still there, working for a direct decendant of CAC (Tenix)... although I escaped and was recaptured a couple of times. I'm now doing mods on RAAF C130Hs and the occasional VIP ground handling job... rock stars, politicians and sometimes royalty.

During mytime at the "Comical Aircraft Corporation" and "Dirty Harry's" I started doing cartoons of various amusing incidents that happend.... eventually it took up more time than my inspection work. (Sample attached)

Wingnut, ex-CAC employee? Stop holding back and start posting some of your experiences! I'd like to see some threads on some remarkable CAC aircraft and their projects. Were you involved in the Wamira project? Was CAC still around then?

In the meantime two more to ponder..

Attachments

• TROOPS3A.JPG
    TROOPS3A.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 180
Number one is a transport aircraft regarded as one of the worst aircraft ever built. Built by Greeks in the the US, it was designed by Greeks, and the venture was promoted by a Greek-and every Greek restaurateur on the West Coast stuck a few bucks into the project.
Its short flying life ended as a Hollywood prop, and can be seen in the movie, "Flying Tigers" with John Wayne. Other appearances were also made in low budget "Tarzan" and "Jungle Jim" movies.

That would be the Capelis XC-12

No. 2 - Praga E-51
That would be the Capelis XC-12

'Done and dusted' Congrats gentleman!

During my time at the "Comical Aircraft Corporation"

Thanks for the reply Wingnuts.
Interesting career/life! Not the progressive, innovative company that I thought it was? 1981 you said-I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light on early CAC projects that 'looked' promising at the time.
For example..the CA-31 jet trainer design from the mid to late 60s..

Graeme, The CA-31 (1966) only got to 'mock-up' stage, which was donated to the museum at Moorabbin. The CA23 (1950) 2 seat delta winged fighter was also an advanced design.

CAC CA23 - Project Terminated

However, it needs government orders before production can proceed and the government orders never appeared, CAC manufactured the Avon engined CA-26/27 Sabre for the RAAF. That was the last complete aircraft that was produced.

RAAF Museum: RAAF Aircraft Series 2 A94 <acronym title="Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation">CAC</acronym> Sabre

CAC was quite innovated in the past, being one of the few aircraft manufacturing companies that could make both engines and airframes, including hydraulic components etc.

Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

'Done and dusted' Congrats gentleman!

Thanks for the reply Wingnuts.
Interesting career/life! Not the progressive, innovative company that I thought it was? 1981 you said-I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light on early CAC projects that 'looked' promising at the time.
For example..the CA-31 jet trainer design from the mid to late 60s..

Adopting Krabat's 'cropping' technique, here are two more. Both belong to the same manufacturer. That wheel is 6ft 3 in high.

Graeme, You may find this site interesting, a short history of CAC by Keith Meggs, a former test pilot for the company and Korean War pilot.

Keith Meggs : The Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation

All the buildings have been demolished now... new factories built on the site. The Bellman hangars that were used for flight testing since WW2 have been dismantled and are being erected at Tyabb Airfield south of Melbourne.

The runway was closed when they built the Westgate Bridge.

The former Government Aircraft Factory (GAF) next door is now owned by Boeing... Hawker de Havilland was also taken over by Boeing and is still operating in at the Boeing site.

ok people, someone can help me... what is this?
v-173_title.jpg

v-173_3view.jpg

flying pancake.. i like to know if it is used in ww2 and in positive case what is the main rolle of this aircraft.
bye :)

Adopting Krabat's 'cropping' technique, here are two more. Both belong to the same manufacturer. That wheel is 6ft 3 in high.

Armstrong Whitworth Ensign and Armstrong Whitworth AW52.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back